El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize that if you’re turning 10s at the strip you'd want a 4 bolt but for mostly d/d and an occasional street race does it make that much difference. Or would it be that if you were going to start from scratch then you'd want a 4 bolt?
Donny
Can't edit titles!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 Bolt or 4 bolt!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Never had a 4 bolt until this 502, and that part held together on all of the others. The 427 ran 10.90 at 128, and it was a throw together motor.
Now this new one I'm building, I'm starting with a 2 bolt block but,:secret::secret::beer:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Over the years i have had quite a few street drag machines. All of them except my 69 superbee six pack was built by me. None of them have been 4 bolt. The 396 HP 302 in my currant show truck is 2 bolt and the new el engine is 400 hp and its a 2 bolt. I have never had one come apart except the 289 Studebaker i raced in the late 60s. If a 4 bolt was available i would have jumped on it, but not went out of my way to find one.

Dave

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
DDD on the street and a few passes down the 1/4 mile youll be fine with a two bolt block
i been beating on my 2 bolt every chance i get so far so good....
looks like i need to fill my bottle for ol ralph.......:secret:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..When was the last time you've seen a crankshaft poking out through the side of the block.?

1. always
2. sometimes
3. rarely
4. never
(..and there you're answer):poke:
:beer:

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Many years ago, (early 80's) I had A guy that rebuilds motors say he see's more 4 bolts blow up than 2 bolt. I think that's because they are abused more. The 2 bolt should do you fine.

Tim

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's not that the 2 bolt block will let the crank exit the block, it's about the Twist on the bearing....Most that will likely happen is you will spin the #1 Main bearing long before anything else...

If you are worried, put in Studs instead of using bolts...That will help, but I would not worry on a Hard charging Street Machine...

Remember....It's all about "Bolt Stretch" for proper torque....So Never re-use Rod or Main Bolts! You can get some good GM Performance Main bolts from Summit at a good price, don't need $$$ ARP bolts for the street...

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not about the one going in it's about people calling on the one I took out. They ask 2 or 4 bolt main, when I say 2 they O.K. and thats it???:let_it_all_out:
Donny

·
0 Posts
DDD on the street and a few passes down the 1/4 mile youll be fine with a two bolt block
i been beating on my 2 bolt every chance i get so far so good....
looks like i need to fill my bottle for ol ralph.......:secret:
Don't forget Elevatorman. I ain't gonna say too much,but he's ready to play. Ima make a trip to his house in a couple weeks to see what kinda extra goodies he has for me.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
It's not about the one going in it's about people calling on the one I took out. They ask 2 or 4 bolt main, when I say 2 they O.K. and thats it???:let_it_all_out:
Donny
Donny I've found over the years that most people that ask 2 or 4 never built an engine, they just want "braggin rites" 'cause they read something in a mag.
My 396 is a 2bolt and I beat it like a rented mule.:beer:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know a guy who had a 454 bored .100 in his 1970 camaro that he has raced since the late 70's up till last year running around 10.70's in it and he has never had any problems with it. It's only been rebuilt once and is now in another drag car still going strong.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Donny

Tell them its a 12 bolt, most dont have a clue what 2 vs 4 bolt means anyway.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you are not makeing in excess of 600 hp and keeping it above 6500 rpm,300+ hp nitrous .you dont really need 4 bolt mains. use good main studs and you should be fine

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
if you are not makeing in excess of 600 hp and keeping it above 6500 rpm,300+ hp nitrous .you dont really need 4 bolt mains. use good main studs and you should be fine
I agree. You need a 4-bolt when you're planning to rev past 6000 RPM on a regular basis (like in a drag only car). This mostly applies to big blocks (or big displacement small blocks).

Small blocks will rev past 6000 on a regular basis with 2 bolt mains (at least mine did back in the 70's). I think somewhere around 6500 to 7000 is where SBCs need more bolts.

I used to race a 327 every weekend and revved it to 6200 on every run. Won most of them, too.

Jack

·
813 Posts
ARP studs I highly reccomend, have used them many times with and without windage trays.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts