El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be my first transmission rebuild, IF I decide that it is worth the risk of messing it up.

I have the rebuild book and a good core.

I have heard that this is probably an 8, on a scale of 1-10, as far as skill level is concerned, to complete correctly.

A local shop wants to charge $1800 DOLLARS to rebuild it with the engineering issues corrected, shift kit, and upgraded components. They also have a 12 month, 12000 mile warranty.

I was pretty Gung-Ho about doing this myself, but am afraid that I might be biting off more than I can chew.

REALISTICALLY, can this rebuild be done by someone like me with a fair level of mechanical ability and the proper documentation? I sure don't want to spend that kind of money, but I don't want to be stranded somewhere either.

Thanks in advance for your advice...

·
Registered
365 Posts
i say go for it, i will be doing the same when mine blows.. you will need some special tools but even with the added cost it will still be less than 1800$.. clutch spring compressor, different dental picks, snap/lock ring pliers, and old yolk or the jig to hold stuff in place when re installing and lo/reverse clutch housing removal tool and a lipseal tool is pretty much the only special tools you might need

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
seek knowledge,chances are if you think you can you can. know your limitation. everything i know has been self taught i have a 4 speed i have rebuilt next will be an auto. the only thing stopping me is special tool oh and cash flow. you have a good core and this site to help. take your time sure you may screw it up but you also have the same chance of getting it right
good luck and let us know how it works out

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I always did my own trannys, never had an issue I couldn't deal with. Always thought I was doing everything right. Then my son gets a job at a trans shop. Now he tells me all the stuff I've been doing I should have done another way. I see what goes on now, when doing trans. by myself, was always time consuming and kinda messy. I think in the future, I'll sublet trans. jobs to the kid.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,094 Posts
Dave,

First auto tranny I did was the 200R4 from my '87 Buick T-Type. Got the book and VHS tape from ATSG which was really GREAT! Very good, step by step instructions, cost me ~$250 in good parts and only issue I had was a few sticky valves in the valve body, which took twice dropping the pan to fix.

If you want the ATSG VHS tape, send me a PM and I'll ship it to you.

Bruce

BTW, now I found a guy locally who has done 2 more 200R4's for me at a total cost of ~$450 each. Not worth me doing it anymore! :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had something that would play a VHS anymore, I would take you up on your generous offer. I guess I will have to just get the parts and do it myself. There is definitely a LOT of info here to help with the rebuild.

Who knows, maybe I'll get good enough at it to do it for other folks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts