El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be my first transmission rebuild, IF I decide that it is worth the risk of messing it up.

I have the rebuild book and a good core.

I have heard that this is probably an 8, on a scale of 1-10, as far as skill level is concerned, to complete correctly.

A local shop wants to charge $1800 DOLLARS to rebuild it with the engineering issues corrected, shift kit, and upgraded components. They also have a 12 month, 12000 mile warranty.

I was pretty Gung-Ho about doing this myself, but am afraid that I might be biting off more than I can chew.

REALISTICALLY, can this rebuild be done by someone like me with a fair level of mechanical ability and the proper documentation? I sure don't want to spend that kind of money, but I don't want to be stranded somewhere either.

Thanks in advance for your advice...

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had something that would play a VHS anymore, I would take you up on your generous offer. I guess I will have to just get the parts and do it myself. There is definitely a LOT of info here to help with the rebuild.

Who knows, maybe I'll get good enough at it to do it for other folks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.