El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning on doing a mild upgrade of the 200-4R for my ‘64 El Camino, 350 sbc, nothing special yet. I now have it completely disassembled. The overrun clutch assembly housing, #510 of the ATSG manual, is worn and has a rough surface as pictured. Does it need to be replaced or would it be ok to smooth the edges with Emory cloth and sand paper?

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
I am not sure if the answer is in this thread, yet it will bring up some more thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion it should be replaced. The wear being concentrated on one side is my concern. I'm not an expert but have built several of these. Can ship one to you if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I’m planning on doing a mild upgrade of the 200-4R for my ‘64 El Camino, 350 sbc, nothing special yet. I now have it completely disassembled. The overrun clutch assembly housing, #510 of the ATSG manual, is worn and has a rough surface as pictured. Does it need to be replaced or would it be ok to smooth the edges with Emory cloth and sand paper? View attachment 127666 View attachment 127667
I'm no transmission expert but that kind of ground up part will warrant replacement every time! Also, I just looked at it again and there looks like a crack on the right side of the pic. Yep, replace.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I haven’t been able to find a hardened one, same with the turbine shaft.
White lightening, how much do you want for the one you have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The planetary gears fell out after removing the turbine shaft from the overrun drum. How do you replace them? There’s 19 rod bearings and it seems really difficult to put it back where it belongs.

B06B937F-478E-499E-AA26-93550D53D961.jpeg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much wear on the pump is tolerable? As you can see there’s a slight groove around 70% of the stator shaft where the pump means the pump rotor. Does the pump need to be replaced?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am not a trans expert but my 2 cents when it comes to rebuilding your own trans is when in doubt replace it. If you are asking if it should be replaced in most cases you are correct it should be. Also for the price of a full rebuild kit for this trans I would replace everything but the case. good luck on the rebuild!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts