El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my V6 to 350 Swap in my 84...:nanawrench:
Torque Converter on the old stock trans is bad:let_it_all_out:
I have a TH400 that was in my 69 El Camino, only has a few miles on it...I'm tempted to put it in as long as I am that far into it....But every one here seems to only talk of the 200-R4? What would you do??

As the TH400 has been on a stand for several years, so I will put in new front and rear seals and filter...Anything else?

What kind of paint & primer work best on the aluminum casing?

·
0 Posts
The 200-4r is the best because of the overdrive. They can be costly to rebuild if it needs it. The 400 is just a stronger version of the TH350. I have a built TH350c right now since I know for sure it will take a beating on the track and during light to light runs on the street. If it were me and I had both transmissions you have,i'd go with the 200-4r simply because of the gear ratio and overdrive. :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I beg to differ, I'd say it would bepend on your rear gears and what your after (preformance or milage). If stock gears and a little hot rodding I'd do the 400 all day!!!
I've now owned a 350, 375, 400, 200-4r & 7ooR4 and I'm not a big fan of the over drive units UNLESS you have really low gears.
The 375, I'm not sure of yet!!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The 400 is nigh onto bulletproof. It was used in 20,000 lb motorhomes, back in the day. It won't do as well on fuel mileage as the 200-4r, and it doesn't have the deep first gear of the 200, but it will stand up to what you want it to do, including towing.

If you put in an overdrive unit, be sure you also arrange for locking the converter, because otherwise you are likely to have heat problems.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I guess it also boils down to what you want out of the car. I for one had the 350C and it was a very nice shifting tranny and they do have the reputation for being a tough tranny. For myself I want mileage since I need to watch what I spend on fuel today. I have a 2:73 rear and with the 2004-R install I get 6-8 mpg more . The lockup is a piece of cake to accomplish and can be done several ways. If I'm around hilly terrain or just want to "feel" more power I simply shift it out of OD .I for one will never go back to a non OD tranny. WP

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
The 400 is nigh onto bulletproof. It was used in 20,000 lb motorhomes, back in the day. It won't do as well on fuel mileage as the 200-4r, and it doesn't have the deep first gear of the 200, but it will stand up to what you want it to do, including towing.

If you put in an overdrive unit, be sure you also arrange for locking the converter, because otherwise you are likely to have heat problems.

X100!!!

back in 75, I put a 400 in my 66 Impala behind a 400 hp sbc. It came out of a 69 SS 396 elkie with 96,000 miles on it. I put a shift kit in it and beat on it HARD for 8 years and it never missed a beat. By hard I mean I always shifted it thru the gears, usually at WOT. The 400 is as close to bulletproof as you will ever get.

On the other hand, the GN guys run 10s in the 1/4 with 200-4Rs, and they do get better mileage. flip a coin and call it in the air!
:beer:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Bruit Force wins again...

It's the TH400!

The new GForce cross member and Boss Hog Torque Converter are here and ready for me to get busy:nanawrench:

All I need to do now is pick up some new U-Joints...Already cleaned and painted the drive line...

Guess the next upgrade will be the rear-end after I gernade it out the cover plate with the first hard 1st - 2nd shift...Then it will be time for new control arms....Never ends, but that's why I love all of this!

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,672 Posts
The final pick should come from the present equipment on the car and the desired out come you wish the car to have. divide it up into speed/interstate or stop and go street driving and witch one will you put the paddle to and where will it take most of its beating. top speed and interstate chose the O.D. trans for mileage and top end, with a lower 1st gear and a lower 2nd gear if you set to play so the O.D. is the best of both world. The 400th comes in with the stronger trans in most cases depending on the build. In the O.D. the 7000R4 is stronger then the 200 R4 and bigger also so that can come into play.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Tranny Mike, Yep you're definitely needed here and appreciated by most. I sent you a PM on my 2004-R outcome and a few questions . Thanks, WP

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Wow, we've got a whole thread full tranny experts that haven't even rebuilt a trans or would know a 400 planet or 350 planet if they saw one. I guess I'm not needed here. :beer:
I'm NOT a trans expert.. but I did stay at a Hoilday Inn Express last night. My choice would have been for tthe 200-4r. I have one and I pull a loaded 16' trailer all over the place. I just don't use the OD. I installed a cooler and change the fluid /filter every 10k miles. I drive 140-150 mile daily and when not pulling the trailer, I get 23 mpg. I also know the 400 takes a lot more hp to operate. It seems counter productive to use the 400.. unless you have power to spare. Just sayin.. oh yeah, Mike.. STOP WHINING!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
So, Mr. Tranny, after seeing all the advice given, for the application stated in the original post, which trans would you choose?

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Geezs I feel out of place here as I have a built Th350 behind my 396.
I will say this tho, not only does the Th400 take more hp to run (not noticeable on the street) but it is heavier.
Having said all this I'd go with the OD trans 'cause I have deep gears.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steelybill-
The Starter is a 2HP from Summit...

The instructions say that if you overtighten the battery terminal that you need to take it apart and realign the copper contacts or it will cause intermittent failure...I was carefull...Still intermittent...
I will do what they say and give it one more try before sending it back for an OE style...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, it's overkill, but I'm glad I decided to put the 400 in the 84...
I pulled the 350 from my 69 and built it up with 9:1 Pistons and a nice cam & 4bbl for a daily driver,
Now that the TH400 is also out of the 69, it will be ready for the Body Off this winter:nanawrench:
I got the 69 from the original owner in 1974...California car with No Rust, and has been garaged all of it's life...I want to build a 302 and put in an old school 4 speed and 4:11's just for fun...Going to build a 69 Z28 Camino with Camaro quarter panel lovers and interior...Going to paint it Garnet Red and Black...I'll need something to do once I finish the 84...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike, arn't they Straight Cut in the 400 and Helical in the 350...
Reaching way back in the brain box for that one:poke:

Seems like the one in the 350 was more like a cone shape than the 400...Been way too long since I was past the valve body in an Automatic...Never had to "Fix" a 400...
I had a shift kit in a 400 that would just about shear off the body mounts when you put your foot in it...ate lots of u-joints with that one...

How did I do???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts