El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found an engine/transmission/wiring harness/computer/all access. from a 2004 Silverado. Has any of you put this drivetrain in an El Camino? Is this engine comparable to an LS1, as far as installation and performance? I know there is a difference wit cubic inches, metal in the block, design of the heads, cams, etc.

Is there a reason to pass on this setup, or should I jump on this?

Seth Anderson
1985 El Camino SS Choo Choo
2003 GMC Sierra

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The only difference between the LS1 and the 5.3 is the ci and cam. Many LS1 guys use the 5.3 heads because they flow a little bit better. HP is down just a little from an LS1 (5.7) but in an ElCo you won't see a difference.

The installation requirements are 100% the same. If you're up to the conversion and depending on the price it might be something you want to jump on. Take a look at the conversion/hybrid section of ls1tech.com and you can see a number of Elkys and Monte Carlos that have done LSx conversions and what they had to do.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There is a member on here who has that exact setup (G-body is the name) If he doesn't find this thread he's on ls1tech.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thee LSx into G-Body swap guide/site is John B`s. http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/ his is the most comprehensive. There are some differences though since you are using a truck engine.

The 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, and 6.0L engines are all generation III SBC engines, technically the only one that can be referred to as a LS1 is the aluminum block 5.7L, but LS1 has become somewhat of a catchall phrase for all the engines.

Anyway the blocks are all the same physical size on the outside, and parts swap between them all (IE intakes, exhaust manifolds, oil pans, accy drive systems, etc)

This thread would also be a good read as it talks about using the truck engines and what must be changed http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252644&highlight=camino

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hot Rod's latest issues covers a topic on the truck motors actually. They use the 6.0l LQ8 motor and swap the truck intake with a FAST ls1 intake, then swap out the pulleys with camaro pulleys. Check it out on the news stands or their web site!

-Anduh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is that 5.3l a throttle-by-wire motor? I know some are and some aren't. I'm planning on swapping one into my '85, and I can't figure out which are which. :?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
There is nothing different in the motors just the throttle body and the ECM that runs everything. If you can see the throttle body look for a large cam on the passenger side(cable controlled) or a small motor sticking out of the side (wire controlled).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Working on my 5.3 swap now trying no to cut into the frame but must have A/C in Texas. Some say the truck compressor will work in my 1982 Elco cause the lines coming out the side of the compressor. Has anyone install with out relocation brackets or notching the frame???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Working on my 5.3 swap now trying no to cut into the frame but must have A/C in Texas. Some say the truck compressor will work in my 1982 Elco cause the lines coming out the side of the compressor. Has anyone install with out relocation brackets or notching the frame???
yes i have. we used our own engine mounts and a corvette pulley system and intake.
there are pictures of it in my build thread.http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=85433

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go to street &performance site...
They sell anything needed for this conversion, and can reflash your ECM taking out what you don't need or want.
And from experience,,,don't use their motor mounts. Use the slotted mounts from dirty dingo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just finished a 5.3 swap the only thing you'll have ta really deel with is the computer. If you have a 4l60 then your swap will be much easier then mine was (I used a the350) the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to go to lt1swap.com and read as much as you can on the wiring harness and I fully recommend striping the harness and deleting the down stream o2 sensors you'll have to take your computer to a tuner to have him delete the anti theft sys anyway so you mid as well get rid of them at the same time I can give you the number to my tuner if you want. And last the 5.3 puts out WAY more power then the old 305 ever dreamed of so be prepared the first time you put your foot down.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only problem I'm having is the exhaust manifolds I have a set off 2006 GTO don't fit also a set off a truck 5.3 don't fit looking for a set off a ls Camaro of Firebird see what luck I have with out braking the bank on a set of headers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this and I will want to put 2004 Silverado engine in my 83 El Camino I would like to know what all I will have to do

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
There's plenty of advice in the text and links above to get you started. I also read two LS swap books from cover to cover before deciding to do it and this was probably the best value purchase that I made during the process of my swap. In the end, I went with all Holley hardware for the engine and a PSI standalone engine wiring harness.

There are only two universal truisms when it comes to swapping an LS engine and trans into an older vehicle:

1 - It will cost you more than rebuilding your original equipment.

2 - It will take you longer. It is a more complicated installation.

Rick

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
X2 Rick! I know one of those old post's mention LT1swap.com. That is honestly one of the best sources for doing an LS swap. Brendan is good and flashed my computer and deleted everything un-necessary to making my car run and returned it in 3 days. Start there and take Rick's advice, read everything you can and when you get stuck post up here and hopefully someone will know what will work.

Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
The only comments I have to add to Rick's two rules above are that both the rules should be in CAPS and bold print with exclamation points at the end! I certainly found both to be true after the LS1/4L60e swap into my 85. Getting it emissions legal added a lot to the headache. Best of luck and sure enjoyable after it's done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts