El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get the transmission line to the transmission cooler. I plan to run the line to the new transmission cooler and back to the radiator transmission cooler. The new transmission cooler that is now mounted in front of the air conditioning cooler. Where should the thermostat be placed on the vehicle. Is it supposed to be on the right side of the radiator, in front of the radiator, or some other place?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Thermostat for the transmission cooler? I don't run a thermostat with my transmission cooler and I completely avoid routing transmission fluid through a radiator trans fluid cooler. Its warm enough around here that my fluid does not need warming during the winter.

Where you live I would not worry about my trans fluid getting all that hot. Even here in Louisiana in the summer after a good trip around town, the input temperature of the fluid headed into my trans cooler was 190 F a few weeks ago and 170 F coming out of the cooler with a 12 inch fan blowing across the cooler.

Its just not that hot.

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rick. Darbysan, and others, made a recommendation that I get one. It's been over a year ago since I bought it, just hadn't been able to get the time to install it. The cooler is mounted and just need to get the lines in to use it. I was hoping it would help the engine run cooler.

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts
If you are talking about a thermostatic bypass valve, then that can go in the line anywhere. On the Cadillac, it is right at the transmission. If you are talking about a temp sensor, then that should go in the line between the transmission and the cooler, on the "hot" input line. Again, it can be mounted anywhere. I've got mine mounted at the input to the trans cooler.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you Darbysan. Here's a picture of the one that came with the transmission cooler.

Is this the same type as yours? There's no mounting bracket, so it's just going hang between the lines.

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts
I didn't use one here- too hot. But that is the correct bypass. It does just hang between the lines, although a bracket or zip tie wouldn't hurt, even if it is just a hose bracket on one of the lines, to prevent vibration, bouncing.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, Darbysan. This year getting hot, it's setting records, for the number of days. I appreciate your help. I think I'll try putting it beside the radiator.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In your opinion is it better to have the thermostat at the transmission and replace the lines going forward to the transmission cooler and radiator? Or plumb it in closer to the radiator and transmission cooler?

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The people I work for thought the thermostat for the transmission was a good idea. What's your opinion on whether I should use it or not?

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts
The main reason for the thermostat is to allow the trans fluid temp to rise to an acceptable level. Too cold is not good. If you live in or plan to drive in a cooler climate, then the thermostat is a good device. It's location is immaterial, as long as it is in place before the cooler, it will prevent the flow of fluid through the cooler until the temp is up to operating temps. Should the temps then drop too low ( like driving in near freezing weather), the thermostat will close again to allow the temps to come back up. Since you have it, no reason not to use it.

Mine is plumbed without also going through the radiator. I use only the Cadillac cooler for the trans ( the way Cadillac uses it too). This takes some of the pressure off of the stock radiator ( maybe giving you more cooling capacity for the engine). But without the fluid going through the radiator, there is no way to modulate the fluid temps without the thermostat.

Reactions: 78 Elk

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Darbysan. Our temps go from cold to hot during the year. I'll by pass the radiator and just use the cooler. This is a little funny. I have a Cadillac transmission that I'll use the Cadillac cooler with.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pictures of the transmission cooler mounted in the front of the car.

This shows how I mounted it. I would like your opinions on the way I mounted it. Is it good enough or does it need support?

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts
That's probably good enough support, but I would consider tying the bottom of the cooler to the same support straps you already installed. Just a short piece of bar stock, bent to fit if necessary. My reasoning is that if you should hit something, like a small animal, etc, or have any sort of front end collision, the cooler is going to get shoved into your AC condenser, and may do damage there. If it's a big collision, it's going to happen no matter what, but if it's small, the extra bracing may save you some money.

Reactions: 78 Elk

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you darbysan. Maybe I could make 2 short trips to bolt to the bottom. Should I try to get something to go between the cooler and the AC condenser for a little more protection of the condenser? Or maybe I could move the cooler to the front of the cooler to the front of the metal straps instead of it being behind it as now.

·
Supporting Member
4,581 Posts
Anything to provide support to the bottom works. Don't put anything between the cooler and the AC, as it would block the airflow.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. Your help is much appreciated. I think I'll try to get a little more space between the cooler and condenser. I'll put more pictures on when I'm finished with the process.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I remounted it today. I need to tighten it up a little bit more. Here's some pictures.

I lowered it down and now has space between it and the AC condenser. What's your opinion, what can be issues with it at this location?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts