El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be just a personal taste thing but I really think the new Corvette and last years Camaro's bright orange running lights are really cool. As I drive I can always spot a Corvette or Camaro on the other side of the freeway or coming up from behind. 8O I think they look cool because of their bright orange color and not boring white as used on some of the other newer cars. When I spot them I think "Bowtie" coming!

My 1970 El Camino has really cool big round trun signal lamps in the front bumpers. I think it would be cool to have the new orange running lights in them. I suck when it come to anything with wires! Can this be done on our older cars? I was thinking about going to a junk yard and pulling the running lights off a new Camaro and using them on my '70, but don't know if our older electrical stuff can handle them. Has anyone thought or tried this before? :roll:

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I've got a current project in mind that will use these LEDs in "red" for a mod to my '87.

Gonna' start that right after my underway hood modification.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Take the Lights off the switch and install relays to the +12. This will make them brighter. The switch has internal resistance and even New switches don't light the lights as well as running a pure +12 at the light. It is not that hard to do.

You'd really need to do this if you decided to go to a higher wattage bulb or you need this set up for Halogen Lights and the newer HID that cost like 500 a side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Take the Lights off the switch and install relays to the +12. This will make them brighter. The switch has internal resistance and even New switches don't light the lights as well as running a pure +12 at the light. It is not that hard to do.

You'd really need to do this if you decided to go to a higher wattage bulb or you need this set up for Halogen Lights and the newer HID that cost like 500 a side.
Good idea but most "brighter headlight" articles written forget one thing. Inside the headlight switch there is a circuit breaker. This circuit breaker protects the headlight wiring. The articles suggest using relays to switch the headlight wires without protecting those wires. If one goes to external relays, be sure to add a breaker into the circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts