El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at converting from a TH400 to a 200 4R on my 1966 Elky. It currently has a 327, double hump heads, Edlebrock performer RPM intake, Edlebrock 600cfm 4bbl carb and mild cam (Don't know what cam) and a 3.08 rear. Has anyone done a similar tranny swap as I am interested in what stall range torque converted you may have used? I don't plan on doing any racing but just want some nice street performance. From my research it looks like it will be a clean swap as it will work with the current crossmember and driveshaft length. Any suggestions on this swap would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am looking at converting from a TH400 to a 200 4R on my 1966 Elky. It currently has a 327, double hump heads, Edlebrock performer RPM intake, Edlebrock 600cfm 4bbl carb and mild cam (Don't know what cam) and a 3.08 rear. Has anyone done a similar tranny swap as I am interested in what stall range torque converted you may have used? I don't plan on doing any racing but just want some nice street performance. From my research it looks like it will be a clean swap as it will work with the current crossmember and driveshaft length. Any suggestions on this swap would be appreciated.
It's not as straight forward as you seem to think...the crossmember has to be moved back about 6 1/4 inches, but the driveshaft will still fit. The biggest thing I would advise is to get a very good aftermarket torque converter. The stocker tends to "balloon" under high rpm and you know a 327 will buzz. when the torque converter balloons it pushes on the rear of the crankshaft and kills the thrust bearing in the engine....Don't take the chance on a stocker, other than that I'd probably go with something in the 2500 rpm range for the street, any higher and you will blow the tires off and never go anywhere.....Dan

·
Registered
589 Posts
I run a 2004R in my 231 cu. in. turbo camino, and in my other turbo Regals. They're all around 400 horsepower. I use the stock Grand National D-5 converter in all of them. You can pick up one of these converters for as little as $50, used, on turbobuick.com. The stock Turbo Regal has a 12" diameter converter stamped D5 D5 D5 all the way around the circumference of the converter. It is a unique special high stall converter from the factory. The factory stall speed is approximately 2200 RPM as opposed to 1800 on other vehicles using the 200.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Don't remember the length of a 200-4R, but the TH400 was available in at least tree different tail shaft lengths. I would think that the Chevy type would be the short tail shaft model. If you do some searching on this site, you will likely find some info on 200-4R swaps. Of course the yoke on the drive shaft is bigger on the TH400, but there are U-joints available for the small yoke ( TH350, 200-4R etc) to fit the drive shaft that the TH400 yoke was on. GM u-joints came in three different types that I"m aware of, the 1310, the 1330, and the 1350, which is the TH400 size. I used a u-joint that went on a 1330 shaft, to the TH400 yoke, which had the 1350 size. Source that I used was Inland Empire Driveline Service, for the combo u-joint.

Hope some of this helps....:smileyb:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
its almost a drop in.use the 2300 converter.it will let your 327 get into its power curve.your car has the frame drilled for several trans options.the 200r4 mount is in the same place as the 400 you currently use. just make sure you hook up the converter lockup feature and run the biggest cooler you can . without the converter lock up working the converter will continually slip in od. causeing the trans to overheat and eventually die.i just made a harness for someone and is only 3 wires to hook up ,very simple and you will get the most from your od. you will need to change the drive shaft it will be aprox 2 3/4 in too short and it uses a different yoke from the 400. all of the small early auto trans used the same yoke as the 200r4 /700r4/4l60/65/70/e trans. a powerglide or 350 turbo elco driveshaft is a direct bolt in.as it is the same lenth/and spline count as needed for the 200r4. hit up trannymike for lock up recomendations

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I run a 2004R in my 231 cu. in. turbo camino, and in my other turbo Regals. They're all around 400 horsepower. I use the stock Grand National D-5 converter in all of them. You can pick up one of these converters for as little as $50, used, on turbobuick.com. The stock Turbo Regal has a 12" diameter converter stamped D5 D5 D5 all the way around the circumference of the converter. It is a unique special high stall converter from the factory. The factory stall speed is approximately 2200 RPM as opposed to 1800 on other vehicles using the 200.
What rpm are you shifting the regal 6 banger at---if it's near stock and you are going past 5200-5400 you are slowing it down but a 327 can go to 6500 pretty easy...no way would I spin a 12 inch converter to 6500...just my opinion though...sorry about the tranny mount placement error---for some reason I was thinking you said th350---my bad.....dan

·
Registered
589 Posts
231 turbo motors are torque motors. No need for us to shift past 5500 even if running into the 10s. I don't see why you can't spin a 12" 6500 rpm, but if you feel more comfortable with a smaller converter, that's cool. I just wanted to point out an inexpensive route that works, at least into the 11s for six bangers.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
231 turbo motors are torque motors. No need for us to shift past 5500 even if running into the 10s. I don't see why you can't spin a 12" 6500 rpm, but if you feel more comfortable with a smaller converter, that's cool. I just wanted to point out an inexpensive route that works, at least into the 11s for six bangers.
I still have an 86 Regal T-type that I bought new, so I am familiar with them---getting ready to be mean to mine and put it in the low 10's, I also plan on keeping it below 5500 so torque converters aren't a big worry for that project, but a 327 doesn't make a lot of torque, it uses rpm to make hp and a 12 inch converter is a lot of centrifugal force to be spinning at those speeds...there is a reason they make 9, 10 and 11 inch converters and anti-ballooning plates for them. My Thunderbird Super Coupe has a supercharged 3.8 V6 from the factory with an AOD transmission that came with a 12 inch converter that is notorious for ballooning at less than 6000 rpm....after looking at a ruined block in a fellow Super Coupers car I opted for a better converter in mine. I have a 2500 stall 10 inch with anti-ballooning plate in it. I feel safe taking it to 7000 now if need be should it break something like an axle (which these cars are prone too).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input. Sounds like the 2004r will work out fine with my setup. Still not sure about the torque converter as their are a lot of different opinions. Anyone out there that has matched a 2004r with a 327 that would be willing to share their experience?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm... I'm a little late to this thread. but for what it's worth, in my 86 I am running the stock 200-4R tranny with the built up 327 that I recently (2k miles ago) installed. I have had no problems, although I do wish that I had gotten a higher stall converter. The stock 2.41:1 gearing in the diff has got to go too. It is NOT your friend. unless you want 170mph+ speeds...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Grand Nationals all come stock with D-5 converters (th2004r & 3:42 rear gear) which stall at 2200 RPM. You can get one of these pretty cheap (around $50) off any turbo Buick message board sale section. I run D-5s in all my turbo cars. Easy to identify. D5 is stamped all the way around the circumference.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Grand Nationals all come stock with D-5 converters (th2004r & 3:42 rear gear) which stall at 2200 RPM. You can get one of these pretty cheap (around $50) off any turbo Buick message board sale section. I run D-5s in all my turbo cars. Easy to identify. D5 is stamped all the way around the circumference.
You better be sure the converter is free of contamination. Since all converters from that era are pretty old it seems rather risky. Now you could buy that converter and have it rebuilt, but remember it's a lock-up converter too and the clutch lining could be very worn or glazed and nobody can see that unless it's cut open. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i wouldnt use a used converter.anything in it will go right into your trans and could cause you problems. i pay 125 $ for a rebuilt tcs converter with the kevlar clutch.way too cheap to risk a trans on.plus buying a used gn converter is risky as i havent seen too many of them not hammered almost every mile of thier life. a new clean converter with a warranty and you know you are safe.stock converters are around 1200 for the low stall class and 1800 to 2300 for the high class without getting into a custom converter.and dont trust summit techs on converter selection they sent a budy of mine 3 different converters and never got him where he needed to be.call a rebuilder and tell him what trans and gearing you have and they can accuratly help you pick the correct converter.the gm performance parts trans comes with a 2300 stall.i have used the 1800 to 2300 in everything short of a full on race application and been very happy with them

·
Registered
589 Posts
My post is more of a heads-up to folks who might not know that there is a stock, higher stall, converter (D5), for the th2004r, that is readily available and can be purchased inexpensively, as opposed to some 1200 stall junk from TCI for $125. If a purchaser is concerned about such a purchase, of course he can have that converter cleaned out before installation. There are many perfectly good converters that sellers simply remove to upgrade to a higher stall in the turbo v6 community. While there may be stories that convey a negative result in installing a used D5 converter, I'm sure there's at least an equal number of success stories, if not more. I've had no problems myself using used d5 converters I've picked up over the years. Got one right now in my El Camino. I even installed a used BRF th2004r and converter, from that era, that shifts very crisply. If I listened to you guys, I could have spent $1500 or so freshening things up. I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
My post is more of a heads-up to folks who might not know that there is a stock, higher stall, converter (D5), for the th2004r, that is readily available and can be purchased inexpensively, as opposed to some 1200 stall junk from TCI for $125. If a purchaser is concerned about such a purchase, of course he can have that converter cleaned out before installation. There are many perfectly good converters that sellers simply remove to upgrade to a higher stall in the turbo v6 community. While there may be stories that convey a negative result in installing a used D5 converter, I'm sure there's at least an equal number of success stories, if not more. I've had no problems myself using used d5 converters I've picked up over the years. Got one right now in my El Camino. I even installed a used BRF th2004r and converter, from that era, that shifts very crisply. If I listened to you guys, I could have spent $1500 or so freshening things up. I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.
Nobody said you have to rebuild your trans, you just did. We're talking torque converters. If there are as many good stories as bad, that's a 50/50 risk. That's not very good. We all have different ideas of what is good for our rides. I just happen to feel that you do it once, do it right, then forget about it. Going used leaves me with that little thought of will it last. :beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts