El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Conquista with a dying 200r4. I've got a line on a 88 IROC donor car with a solid 350 and 700r4. I wouldn't mind swapping to the 350 tpi from the 305 carby, but the trans is the weak link right now. Is it a direct swap (give or take), or no? Anyone done this?

·
Registered
342 Posts
To make the 700 fit you will need a tailshaft housing from a B or D body. It will allow you to use the 2004r crossmember without mods.

You will also need to shorten the driveshaft by about 3".

Then just bolt it in. It is a pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
crossmembers

if you are looking for a transmission crossmember, you should visit www.crossmembers.com
this guy knows what he's building. and its set up great for dual exhaust. and full length headers. i have two of these crossmembers. one in my el camino . holding up a 700r4 and one in a monte SS holding a 2004r. both are different. he's got them for all different types of transmissions and g-bodys 8O

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the 88 IROC engine has a factory AC compressor you intend to use, you will need to make a small notch in the frame for clearance of the pulley, as I found out when making this swap on my 78 SS (now my son's project car). It's not difficult to do it is just one more task in making everything fit. Also the refrigerant line assembly where it attaches to the compressor needs modification as well. The other comments here about th crossmember and the length of the driveshaft are also issues to be dealt with. If it has a computer, you will need to carefully extract the wiring harness or buy a new one from one of the wiring harness suppliers or perhaps Street and Performance. My SS had a 350 and the THD 350 trans, but the IROC engine / 700R4 trans combo makes for a screamer....

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Robert Adams,
Can you explain the Elky fuel injection gas tanks you sell?
Thanks,
-Dan

·
Registered
342 Posts
The tank is just the 86-88 4.3 tank. They had the 4.3Z FI engine. The only difference is that it has baffling for the pump.

Sorry for the latee reply but it has been a while since I have been on the site.

86SS why did you have to notch the frame for the compressor pulley. I'm running the same serpentine assm on my elky and the compressor is nowhere near the frame and neither is anything else. For the most part it was a bolt in.
You do have to use the F-body ac lines though.

It sounds more like you have acessories from a Vette.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi elcam84,

The engine we used on my son's El Camino (a 78 SS that had a 350) was from a early nineties Camaro with the 700 R4, and the compressor was mounted down low and needed the extra clearance. We modified the manifold on the AC lines assembly and it works fine. The difference may be in the rear trans mount attached to the original trans cross member may have caused the engine to tip just enough to cause the pulley to brush against the frame.

86SS

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ahh si. Sounds like you are running a LT1. The 88-92 used a set up similar to the full size cars. The compressor was mounted on top on the pass side.

I haven't done that swap but know someone who has done several. He says most of the compressor pulleys clear but sometimes you need a dent in the frame to get the belt on and off. The lines are definitly a mod job.

Got any pics?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts