El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 1987 Elky with a 305. Reverse doesn't work so now I have an even better excuse to put an OD tranny in. My question is what are the main differences in the installs between the 200 and 700 r4's, and what vehicle should I steal either a 200 or 700 out of in order to have the least headache upon install. I'm not too concerned with the lock up's, I plan on tackling that later (I've read about that on the other threads so that I have somewhat of a handle on.) I'm not lookin' for crazy power out of this because it will be my daily driver (I have an 87 grand national that gets all power parts). Thanks guys. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
802 Posts
200-4R all the way! Its basically a drop-in and hook up since yours is a later model. Your old driveshaft will work, your old crossmember will work, and itll bolt right up. Im even pretty sure youve got all the wiring to hook the lock-up but dont quote me on that

And you can get em outta any late model G-Bod such as a 82-87 El Camino, Caprice, Malibu, etc etc

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
GN or MCSS have he best valve bodies, if you want a performance 200-4r.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
outstanding thanx boys :beer:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one other thing, not a big deal but my Elky is a column shift and I want it to be a floor. When I put the 200r4 in, and cut hole in the tunnel, What other things do I need to change?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you keep the transmssion to collumn linkage you won't have to change anything else. Also change your steering collumn or remove the handle either way will work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
^^ Agreed. Its a simple install and worthwhile IMO. I just removed my handle for the column shift and it looks factory!

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Are you going to go with an aftermarket shifter, or trying to stay OEM console shifter? Either way, you can still keep the column linkage under the car for the gear indicator, back up lights and P N safety switch. If going aftermarket shifter, and using it's features, then you'll have to do some wiring off the column and your gear indicator on the dash won't work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I'm gettin a B&M quick silver for it

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Great Choice. I love the Quicksilver. I've had 2 of them in my street/strip cars back in the day. Those were 60's models car, so the micro switches to install back up lights and a P N safety switch where a breeze and a nice safety upgrade to 60's models car/truck. You will be a little challeged to find the part you need to connect the B&M shifter and keep the OEM linkage to operate your OEM back up lights, P N safety switch and keep your shift indicator on the dash, but I'd recommend you do that rather than retrofit the B&M micro switches.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea and I'm not worried about the dash indicator, I'd rather have just the one on the floor. And FYI for everyone, I skipped outta work to see exactly what tranny I have and lo and behold: someone already put a 200-4r in it so... yea

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Your '87 probably came from the factory with the TH200-4R, mine did. Have a transmission shop check your transmission linkage before anything else concerning your transmission.

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if your elco has a non overdrive trans you may need a new crossmember.the od crosmember goes strait across the car at a right angle to the frame ,the non od crossmember goes diagonally. the 200r4 is the simplest to do

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't know they came with factory 200-4r's. I'm really just starting to learn the in's and out's of Elky's.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You will probably need to change the gear ratio in the back for the OD . . .
If WhiskeyHellCamino's '87 came from the factory with a TH-200Rrand a 3.08 rear axle ratio, he has a great combination for the highway and fuel milage. That's the combination that came in my '87 and I like it.

Burnouts are not likely but so what? Not everyone needs pure acceleration, high RPM's on the highway, poor gas milage and the smell of burnt rubber.

WhiskeyHellCamino says his 87 has the TH-2004r and no reverse, he still should have the transmission linkage checked out for function.

Doug

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks doug I like the 200-4r, it's the same tranny I have in my Grand national, so I'm going to rebuild that and keep it. As far as the rear end i'm keeping that ratio, Im just gonna warm this car up with prolly an intake and long tubes, the GN is what I use for war on the street/strip:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
If you can get under the cruck, you can check out what it is. Each of the transmissions have a different style oil pan. Check the tranny forum, and there's a thread with the picture.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts