El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans broke today, looking to buy complete unit to just swap out. Mine was recently rebuilt locally and either had a part failure or something. We think there is too much metal in the system to try to fix. Would like suggestions on who sells a dependable 200R4 that will handle a 420hp small block, no drag racing or stuff like that, just a nice cruising piece.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,643 Posts

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,521 Posts
I would like to use a local place, but I have not found a place in my area. I work for a Chevy dealer but our trans guy is not up on the 200R4
Here’s who built my tranny
Home - A-1 Performance Trans & Converters

if you can’t find a local shop to support, this is my local shop, at least you can compare them to other places if you have order a tranny

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I would like to use a local place, but I have not found a place in my area. I work for a Chevy dealer but our trans guy is not up on the 200R4
I work for a Chevy dealer too, and from what my guys tell me the 2004r is pretty much a 700r4 stuffed in a smaller case to fit where a T350 was. They told me there really isn't much difference in the way they are built. Anyone that can build a 700r4 competently can do a 2004r. And the 700r4 became the 4l60 a year before they did away with the TV cable and called it the 4l60e, internally not much has changed. I had an entire 2007 4l60e innards stuffed in my 93 4l60e case with all the upgrades from the years after and all worked great for 100k when I gave that Blazer to my nephew who beat the tar out of it for 5 more years. My guys have been around for quite a while so I take their word on it. Not sure but I do know that some of our techs claim stupid when they aren't interested in doing something. Not saying that's the case for you but I've seen it plenty in my 39 years as a GM body tech. Good luck.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
"I work for a Chevy dealer but our trans guy is not up on the 200R4 "

Just for fun. Ask him if he is familiar with 200-4R transmissions.
See if he gives a different answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"I work for a Chevy dealer but our trans guy is not up on the 200R4 "

Just for fun. Ask him if he is familiar with 200-4R transmissions.
See if he gives a different answer.
Sorry not as perfect as you, I worded mine wrong. Not that dumb here in Ark.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your profile shows you to be in the Memphis area. are there no hotrod shops you can check with?
I have several at work that are car guys, asked them all about trans places. We have the typical repair type facilities but no hot rod stuff. I think I am down too Gearstar, PATC, or Bow tie Overdrives

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Sorry not as perfect as you, I worded mine wrong. Not that dumb here in Ark.
It was mentioned because I am not perfect.
I asked a transmission person about 200r4 and was told he knew nothing about them.
Eventually he said, those are called 2004r.
It seems to be a running gag in the the profession.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No affiliation on my part but I see these guys offer trans rebuilds in Memphis including the 200-4R

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the help and suggestions, I ordered a level-3 trans from Gearstar yesterday,,, Zack there said I will not be disappointed in their work

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Time to step up to a Turbo 400.. Big motors don't need OD they need higher rear end gears. I like the 3:08 with a small block stroker and maybe a 2.75 first gear set with a 2:73 rear end.. The Turbo 400 has excellent torque multiplication with a big street converter like the L-88.. You also need 2 series, tall rear end gears to make that torque multiplication come alive. This combo runs best with a torquey, smooth idling cam. Another advantage is the brakes actually work if a power booster is being used.. lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have gotten use to my overdrives. I would be wanting that 400 to shift again, it is easy to just hold it down in 3rd if I want it to be more responsive,, thanks -- I do like your idea!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts