El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent most of the day yesterday trying to find out what was going on with Zazzle and the calendars. They only late yesterday sent me information indicating that it MAY be the small Chevrolet bowtie caricature that's been in our NECOA Logo for the past 16 years. Before that indication, all they would send me were images from the El Camino photos placed in the calendars. I spent hour after hour trying to replace their disqualified photos with what I had hoped would be accepted. Folks, I've been building the products in our Zazzle store for the past 9 nears, and this has never happened before!

Not only have I lost the last 3 weeks of labor spent building this years' 22 calendars, but I've also lost a significant portion of the store merchandise developed over the past 9 years. At last count, I've received over 100 disqualification notices on products that have been sold in the store, but are suddenly not acceptable. Thousands of hours of work is now subject to immediate and irretrievable removal, and, considering the luck I had yesterday, there are no appeals available.

The easiest possible action would be to throw up hands in surrender - vow to hex the families and future offspring of these perpetrators of foul deeds, and shuffle off to a corner in self-pity. I was never much into hexes and self-pity.

I spent some time last evening altering the NECOA Logo - on a temporary basis - to what may be acceptable for our merchandise. If the problem is actually the NECOA Logo, I have somewhat altered the Logo to remove the caricature of the bowtie. I'm going to take the next several days, or whatever it takes, rebuilding. The time necessary will depend entirely upon what, if anything, I can salvage from previously constructed models of the deleted issues. I may find something - I may not. I will let the membership know just as soon as I can establish that the calendars ARE rebuilt AND that they are stable as merchandise. I can understand if some folks never return after the past 3 days..................Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for letting us know Ken. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
I'm curious as to why they would leave some of the items still available in the store that contain the little bowtie. :dontknow: Seems like they would have removed all of our items, if that was the case. Does this have to do with something that happened 3 to 6-years ago or something??? :roll:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
This, in a few words, is horse apples! It took the copyright nazis 9 years to tell us this??!

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
RushGator
Glenn, The agent for this strong arm tactic is likely to be automation.

This seems like it could be the effect of a computer program that may have been added to their process to help protect intellectual property. If we think about it, advanced facial recognition software is already available. So the implementation of software that scans a product image looking for things in list below could have been implemented at Zazzle. If automated, it could be part of the reason Zazzle was not able to quickly identify the reason for rejection. Additionally, the staggered rejections could have been caused by the artwork (particular calendar or other NECOA product) being run the automation scan only once it was ordered.

Example list of things a program like this might check.
* Registration Trademark - R within circle
* Trademark symbol - TM (with and without a circle
* Copyright symbol - Letter C within a circle
* Copyright - The letters to spell copyright
* There could also be a table (from 1 to tens thousands) of trademarked images, like the Chevrolet bowtie, Golden Arches, FORD in a blue oval, a running Mustang with the vertical bar, etc

·
Registered
286 Posts
Best explication I have heard about it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good explanation! :bigups: Gotta love technology...Right? :inlove: Well most of the time! :banghead:
So . . . no more pictures in front of a McDonalds? I highly doubt anyone took a shot featuring a FORD LOGO!:smile3:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it Stands...............

Thanks for the support, my friends. I just posted the following in response to a disqualification message, one of 88 so far, that I just received:

I am in the process of removing the caricature of the Chevrolet “Bowtie” symbol - that we have incorporated in our Association logo for the past 16 years without issue - from my NECOA2011 store. However, you have mentioned the text referencing the Chevrolet El Camino”. Sir – Our Association is the National El Camino Owners Association, or NECOA. It’s very difficult to market our Association’s merchandise without using our name. That’s no different than a Corvette club, or Model A club. Just a brief search of the Zazzle marketplace finds thousands of T-Shirts with “Corvette”, “Stingray”, Chevelle”, Impala”, and other names of Chevrolet products. Why would my Association’s use of El Camino, in our NAME, be treated different than all the thousands of others? I must strenuously object to this action! Please clarify as soon as possible so that I have assurance of not losing 8 years’ worth of effort building this store to serve the needs of my Association……………………..Ken Rogers.

Messages received from Zazzle:
Hello Ken,
Thank you for contacting us!
Unfortunately, Zazzle is not licensed to sell or produce unauthorized merchandise of Chevrolet. In this instance, your products contain an image referencing the Chevrolet logo and text referencing the Chevrolet El Camino

Hello Ken,
Thank you for contacting us!
Unfortunately, Zazzle is not licensed to sell or produce unauthorized merchandise of Chevrolet. This includes the Chevy logo and the name of their car models.

Zazzle is an open marketplace where users can freely contribute their designs. While significant effort is made to ensure that our content guidelines are followed by all Zazzlers, occasionally some content may appear in our Marketplace in violation of our User Agreement and in violation of their rights. If you feel that any designs do not meet our guidelines, you can easily bring them to our attention by using the “Report Violation” link located beneath the Product ID number on every Zazzle product page.

·
Registered
286 Posts
May have to find a new store for the organization. If this is an inflexible policy it will likely effect other “corvette”,”Chevelle” etc. clubs. I wonder if recent copyright laws have soured these new developments.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Sorry to here you are having these complications.

I'd be willing to bet Old Bear struck the nail on the head.

(I personally think it was his cats idea but they dont have thumbs to type with so Gale had to do it):rockon:

If this is biting us then it will get all the other clubs also.

·
Site Contributor, Suppporting Member, Deputy Direc
289 Posts
May have to find a new store for the organization. If this is an inflexible policy it will likely effect other “corvette”,”Chevelle” etc. clubs. I wonder if recent copyright laws have soured these new developments.

I second that suggestion.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
"Land of the free"
HUMMM :hail2:​

·
Registered
993 Posts
Zazzle needs to ask GM if they have a problem. I doubt they do; it’s good press and free advertising for the Chevrolet brand. If Zazzle can’t get its ducks in a row, we should make them aware of the inconvenience and the revenue they’re going to lose. (I’ve used them for mugs and other items based upon their service to us-that will stop.) Ken, sorry you’re having this trouble. Thanks and good luck!
Patrick

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I'm sure what happened they got caught producing someones registered whatever and now they have to check everything they offer that's illegal get it off the store web site before their cleared by the Trademark Assoc.

Sorry Ken it had to happen at calendar time you always produce the best stuff for the club and all the hours you put in for us also.

There's always someone else out there that will print them but it's just how long till they get caught. First offense is usually a slap on the hand and told to clean it up so their in damage control to save their company. Believe me their loosing a lot of revenue during this time.

All you will get out of Zazzle at this time is what their lawyers advise them to tell the customers and nothing else. It's a legal statement why our stuff was rejected not a human response..

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,284 Posts
..don't want to be a bubble burster,but, that the first thing they tell ya in photoshop skool,copy right infringement and using any logo without permission is against the law,just like I had to get permission form you to use N.E.C.O.A. on some projects for the Association ..it sucks,but,its the law..:cry2:

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Fingers crossed, Ken! They should correct this quick since they probably have a lot of peoples money.
They were quick to issued a credit on cancellation of my order.
The said it might take a few days to show up.
So, they are likely not sitting on other folks funds for long at all.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
(..if you change the logo by 10 percent,then you can run with it..:secret: )..so, lets get those photoshoppers to see if we can change the bow-tie logo,not all is lost..:rockon:
Don't bet on that 10%.
If it can cause confusion with the original trademark, you are at risk.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts