El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
What does that actually mean in regards to pictures of our El Camino appearing on a calendar? Can it possibly mean our pictures can not show the bow tie or the El Camino logo? It would seem that any restrictions like that would have to be raised by the manufacturer, (GM). It seems counter production to prevent folks from displaying their (GM's) products proudly for others to see.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
@R/T
It gets complicated. Especially when lawyers and money get involved.

Here is a link to a long thread from the 2019 Calendar Recall and discussion of what was done.
Ken uses a dark blue font for many announcements. If you have set your profile up to display in dark mode (black background instead of white) it will be hard to read. You can use your mouse to highlight that text resulting in color contrast that will be easier to read. You can also use the 3 vertical dots at our top right of the page to toggle in and out of dark/light mode.

2019 Calendar RECALL by ZAZZLE

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
"seriously? "

Seriously? Where were you last year?
Ken had to recreate all of the 2019 calendars into another vendor's site. He did great to still let them be available by about Thanksgiving from the new vendor?

Read the 1974 Copyright law. I have. "Fair Use" does not apply in this instance. Profit is occurring and the recognizable trademarks appear. It is not covered under the fair use categories (examples: education, news) .
working 2 jobs to provide for my family. I didn't have any pics to submit so was not involved in any aspect of it. and while the term 'Fair Use' may not have been correct to use, the general idea is that if I'm selling a picture of my car, then what does trademark infringement have to do with it. if that were the case then GM/Ford/etc should be all over Craigslist and other sites demanding takedowns as the service provider (CList) can't be held liable if they make you take it down. Since I've never been made to take a CList post down due to 'copyright infringement', I still can't see how their argument holds any water.
regardless, the issue appears to be moot at this point in time if a resolution has been reached

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
What does that actually mean in regards to pictures of our El Camino appearing on a calendar? Can it possibly mean our pictures can not show the bow tie or the El Camino logo? It would seem that any restrictions like that would have to be raised by the manufacturer, (GM). It seems counter production to prevent folks from displaying their (GM's) products proudly for others to see.
and most of us don't need the logos to identify what vehicle we are looking at, so then their argument really gets silly

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,565 Posts
Yes, it was, in the most benevolent terms, very lame of Zazzle after all the years of producing the calendars and etc., to pull a stunt like that. Everything operates in constant fear of the lawsuit, or CYA, these days.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is where it all went, but it seems to be missing now ...

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,733 Posts
There was a really STUPID issue with Zazzle and, they were ripping us off but, Ken went with another company - successfully - the last couple of years. The issue is that putting the calendar together is a huge amount of work. Ken spent hours and hours screening all the submissions, to make sure they were done right, and putting the thing together. The bottom line is that someone will have to step up and be willing to put in the effort - Ken is no longer physically able to do it. It's probably too late for this year.

Reactions: elcodude

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It looks like we've already had some volunteers with graphics experience step up. I'd say it's up to executive board to authorize a "Working Calendar Committee" at this point

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My car might actually have a shot at being "calendar worthy" now for the first time since I joined, I hope this takes off!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts