El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
sweet, u posted the links i needed to find- not for 24'' rims, but for better parts to replace the stock stuff

· Registered
132 Posts
what all would i need to do to get 24s to fit without scrubbing ?
Rethink your idea... That big of a rim on an elky will not only give you real bad mileage, but also destory your tranny... Plus it just looks totally ghetto...
The elky came stock with 15" rims, if you move up to a 17"-18" you will get the same effect, without adding to much strain on your transmission, plus your gas mileage wont suffer too much...

· Registered
742 Posts
Rethink your idea... That big of a rim on an elky will not only give you real bad mileage, but also destory your tranny... Plus it just looks totally ghetto...
The elky came stock with 15" rims, if you move up to a 17"-18" you will get the same effect, without adding to much strain on your transmission, plus your gas mileage wont suffer too much...
X2

Arnie in Iowa

· Registered
382 Posts

Stock size would be 14" I believe. All I have ever owned at least where 14" stock size rims with a 205 75 R14 tire being stock.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
14" wheels were stock on my 87. It was getting too hard to find 14" tires so I jumped all the way to 15"!! A friend put 22" wheels and the required rubberband tires on a 79 Elky. He had to cut the front apron at the corners so he could turn the wheels. When he wanted to make a u-turn he had to take 3-4 shots at it to make a 180. Not worth the trouble.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
A lot of thinking went into making the Elky......adding 15's from other style G bodies, or rallys always looked acceptable to me. Some aftermarket stuff looks neat too, old school Cragars, some American racing stuff, etc....
You're making a mistake going 24's....or anything that large.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.