El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 81 el camino with a 267 in it. But the head gasket is blown and i dont know how to do it. there are SO many vacuum hoses. Im overwhelmed. Please help! step by step would be awesome. l

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
For the vac lines take lots of pictures, or label each line with a piece of tape and number, and make a note of where the numbered line connects to.
Do you know which head needs the gasket replaced on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the right side is blown but it seems like everyone says i should change both at the same time but i dont know what to do

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Do head gaskets in pairs.......asking for trouble if you don't. Your emissions decal should provide you with all the vacuum diagrams.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
X2 you already have to pull the intake to change one side why do the job twice when the other head gasket goes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
label every hose, and what it connects to. masking tape or duct tape works fine. just start at number 1 and keep going. Buy a good manual as well. You might be better off paying some one. Head gaskets are a big job, and if you are inexperienced it is easy to get overwhelmed and then you may never finish. more cars go to the junk yard because some one couldnt/didnt put them back together.

I usually advocate changing them in pairs, but I dont always do it. Just put a head gasket on my car last month. did the passenger head only. once you have one head removed its only another 26ish bolts to do the other side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts