El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, real quick question. Currently in my 65 elky, I have a 283 with a Holley Street Avenger 670 sitting on top. When I bought the car from the guy, he said the carb is way to big for the engine and when stomped on, the engine will putter before reving up. He said to find another Street Avenger, but get the 570. It sounds like the 500-600cfm range is good for this engine. I've also heard of some people running the edelbrock 600. Just looking to get some others input before I go about getting another carb so I can get her out on the street for this summer!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem with running a 670CFM carb on a 283 is that "out of the box" a 670 is jetted for an engine that flows 670CFM. You can run a 670 all day, but most likely will need to go down several jet sizes to keep the little 283 from running too rich. If the car is bogging when you get on it, you could also adjust the accelerator pump shot to squirt less gas. You can buy a smaller carb which will come jetted closer to your needs or try swapping out the jets (very easy on a Holley) and see if that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree with the jetting, also your timing, cam, etc. I've seen 283's with 3x2's, even 2x4bbl, but for a normal street motor i would stay in the 500 area. My son's 64 has a 283 w/ a little 2bbl holley and runs like a top, although it ain't gonna win any races! :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Check online with the Holley Tech guys. They'll tell you rejetting the 670 is a waste of time since the venturi areas are much too large to make the carb work satisfactorily. There are other things to change on the carb, too.

Notice I said satisfactorily. You can make it work, just not at its best.

Get a 450 or 500 cfm carb.

Better yet, stick a SBC 350 under the carb.

jack

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a stock 305 with an Edelbrock Performer manifold on top. I found a Holley 450cfm 4-Barrel that I rebuilt & installed. The engine runs real sweet now, very responsive & much cleaner than with the crapped out 2-Bbl that it used to have.

See if you can locate another Holley 450. They are a great little carb.

~JM~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts