El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of each and am trying to decide on which one to use in my 66. I can use the 283 with a turbo 350 or the 427 with a turbo 400. Mine originally wasn`t a Super Sport it came with the 283 but a big block and an SS hood would really look nice plus I might pull my boat with it from time to time. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Either choice would be good, but it would really depend on how you use your '66. I've had all 3. Small Block, Big Block and W Block. Even a 6-Cylinder, now that I think of it, lol. Straight 6 and GMC V-6.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,283 Posts
well, if you decide to go with the 283, I have a 67 Impala that would be more than happy to take a 427 transplant 😁

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
Obviously big. Towing made it a no brainer. Plus,why do all that work to end up with anemia. Take it from someone whos car has anemia. Ive worked hard to Maintain my stock v6 . should have transplanted ,...had big power, and been done with all the work/upkeep a long time ago.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,393 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement.......................

·
Registered
1960 454ci th400 61cad int. & pwr options
48 Posts
Towing pretty much anything with the 283 would not be enjoyable to say the very least. 427 is the right choice for you.

The answer is always big block.
I am going to disagree with this. I currently have a 454 in my gen 1 and cannot wait to swap it for a small block this winter. The physical size is creating more problems then I want to find work arounds for and for that reason alone it has to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How big is your Boat, lol.

Yacht - 427

Row Boat - 283

But as mention it really would depend on how you want to use your car. If you just tow a small boat a few times a year on a flat, short distance, the 283 would do fine. If it's a '66 283, it will have Power Pack Heads and 195 HP.

But, for looks, power and the cool factor, yes, 427. I had a 396 in a '62 Impala and opening the hood was impressive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had the 427 for over 20 years sitting on the engine stand. Its an L88 with 3 two barrels. I will need to go through it and freshen it up obviously but I will be towing an antique 15 ft boat. I had a 396 Chevelle when I was a kid and I loved it and have been wanting a big block ever since

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had the 427 for over 20 years sitting on the engine stand. Its an L88 with 3 two barrels. I will need to go through it and freshen it up obviously but I will be towing an antique 15 ft boat. I had a 396 Chevelle when I was a kid and I loved it and have been wanting a big block ever since
Awesome, you have want you want to have in stock.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have one of each and am trying to decide on which one to use in my 66. I can use the 283 with a turbo 350 or the 427 with a turbo 400. Mine originally wasn`t a Super Sport it came with the 283 but a big block and an SS hood would really look nice plus I might pull my boat with it from time to time. What do you guys think.
Plan on driving it a lot? If you don't care about MPG then go BIG. If you care about MPG and will tow a little and drive a lot then 283. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
My gosh, 20 years on engine stand. That's got some quality parts/steel inside that just isint readily available anymore. Detroit steel,with Detroit steel inside. Can't say same for rebuilt blocks today. You have to pay outta the nose for worthwhile internals. 20 yrs....your blessed to have the space /resources/etc.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Unless you’ll drive it enough to worry about fuel cost, go big. My toy car is a Buick GS with a big block, T 400 and 3.55 gears. It’s so pleasant to drive, almost never needs to downshift, always has plenty of torque just a toe wiggle away. The only downside is that almost every time I drive into town I buy gas (and premium at that).
Patrick

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Regardless of what engine you choose, you could consider upgrading to modern fuel injection. Would add low end torque, smoothness, & mpg . There are probably even versions to fit 3 2 barrels. Of course cost is always an issue. With a big block , I'd definitely fit the biggest aluminum radiator possible in there, along with huge electric fans & a quality alternator to handle them Huge trans cooler also.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
479 Posts
As anyone with a 305 will tell you, little motors get worse mpg with heavier cars. It's all in how far down the gas pedal must travel just to get the beast to actually move.
So it depends a lot on just how many HP you plan on sticking under the hood. A built 283 pushing 300+ HP, will be roughly the same as a barely overstock 427. Same mpg, same HP and torque. The difference being the 427 has a lot more possible if built up. A 1000 HP 427 isn't difficult to attain, 1000 HP out of a 283 is damn near impossible.

Just how far do you want to go? How much do you want to build up? Personally, I'd dump the tri-power intake and fuel inject the 427 with some minor upgrades to Cam etc. You'll get better milage, have plenty of torque for towing and much less maintenance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wish I had your dilemma. I have and love my little 283. I know and accept its limitations. My plans are to add a new carb, manifold and cam. The current 2bbl runs out breath pretty quick. The addition of the 5 speed made a noticeable difference off the line and cruising at lower rpms. I don’t think towing a boat for a short distance should be an issue.

I have a SS hood and grill for my Elk for cosmetic appearance. When people look under the hood it makes for great conversation.

Reactions: BillT

·
Registered
101 Posts
283 with upgraded aluminum heads, FI and a 5spd if you like it to handle better through corners. 427 just for the fun factor. Either one will tow a small boat. I have had a 454 4spd and currently a 350 5spd in my 64 and I will take the small block. On tight winding roads the SB really shines. Have a all aluminum 572 that I am thinking of putting in. Just debating whether all the extra work and money will be worth it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts