El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I`m gonna go with the big block if any of you guys have any suggestions please let me know. I already have the disc brake conversion for it and I need to add the bigger coil springs to the front end. I dont want a fire breather I already have my 72 Vette for that I just want a nice soft rumble that will go down the road smoothly. In the end I was drinking a beer and talking to my old dog in my shop and he walked over and put his head on my leg and looked over at the 427 so I will take his recomendation

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,386 Posts
I just want a nice soft rumble that will go down the road smoothly.
had one of those come by work yesterday. looked like a '69 Challenger, couldn't confirm 'cuz I was busy with other customers but.... sounded so . much . better . than all these modern muscle with echoing metal sewer pipes

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I have had the 427 for over 20 years sitting on the engine stand. Its an L88 with 3 two barrels. I will need to go through it and freshen it up obviously but I will be towing an antique 15 ft boat. I had a 396 Chevelle when I was a kid and I loved it and have been wanting a big block ever since
I have wanted a Vette with an L88 3x2 since I was still using pedal power as a kid! I would go for the big one if I had that option!
I did almost the same thing, had a 440 out of my 73 Charger (72 motor) on a stand for 35 years, always thought I would find a 72 Duster for it but never did.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
had one of those come by work yesterday. looked like a '69 Challenger, couldn't confirm 'cuz I was busy with other customers but.... sounded so . much . better . than all these modern muscle with echoing metal sewer pipes
Not to get too picky, but I had many Mopars back in the day and the Challenger was introduced in 69 as a 70 model, so just wondering....... I had a 70 R/T with 440 4bbl auto. Wish I still had it. Gave $800 for it in 1983 and drove it home. Rust in the roof was so bad the rain made weeds grow in the carpet from seeds off my feet! The windows seemed to act like a greenhouse! So I tore it all down and started the project but life changed my plans and it got parted out. At least I tripled my investment. Should have bought a whole lot more cars back then! Cheers!

Joe

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
549 Posts
I have wanted a Vette with an L88 3x2 since I was still using pedal power as a kid! I would go for the big one if I had that option!
I did almost the same thing, had a 440 out of my 73 Charger (72 motor) on a stand for 35 years, always thought I would find a 72 Duster for it but never did.

Joe
Had a 74 Dart Sport someone had swapped the 318 for a 340. Had 3 on the floor. That car would Move.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not to get too picky, but I had many Mopars back in the day and the Challenger was introduced in 69 as a 70 model, so just wondering....... I had a 70 R/T with 440 4bbl auto. Wish I still had it. Gave $800 for it in 1983 and drove it home. Rust in the roof was so bad the rain made weeds grow in the carpet from seeds off my feet! The windows seemed to act like a greenhouse! So I tore it all down and started the project but life changed my plans and it got parted out. At least I tripled my investment. Should have bought a whole lot more cars back then! Cheers!

Joe
I also had a '70 Challenger, it was an R/T-S/E, 440 6pack automatic. The year was 1981, I was too young, too stupid, too much of a stoner in those days to know what I really had. Being that I was a stoner, I spent money on pot instead of repairing the front brakes. I decided if I wanted to live a long life, I would sell it instead of wrecking it and killing myself. What do you think I spent the money on? No, not pot, I bought a Ford Pinto. I still own that Pinto to this day, in fact, it is my current project vehicle. It quit running back in 1996, at which time I pushed it into the garage where it remained until 4th of July 2020. It sat in the driveway for nearly a year until Memorial Day weekend this year when I finally began to work on it. 25 years of saying "someday" was too many times, and I'm not getting any younger.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,720 Posts
Since you're going to go big (a good decision, I might add...I don't think you'll regret it), another consideration is the trans. I know you said you either have or will get a TH400. Have you considered an overdrive trans such as the 700R4? Would keep cruising RPM lower, increase milage, and decrease engine wear and tear. If you're going to consider EFI for drivability, then I would think an OD transmission is worth considering for similar reasons. I have a 700R4 behind my moderately built 454, and it's great. I can actually achieve high teens on gas milage on the highway, and that's with the AC going.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,386 Posts
Since you're going to go big (a good decision, I might add...I don't think you'll regret it), another consideration is the trans. I know you said you either have or will get a TH400. Have you considered an overdrive trans such as the 700R4? Would keep cruising RPM lower, increase milage, and decrease engine wear and tear. If you're going to consider EFI for drivability, then I would think an OD transmission is worth considering for similar reasons. I have a 700R4 behind my moderately built 454, and it's great. I can actually achieve high teens on gas milage on the highway, and that's with the AC going.
you mean, you turn off your a/c here in texas?

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's his Christmas present to the car. Turns off the ac for one day, just to give the motor a break. 🤣

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,720 Posts
Are you saying the AC has an off switch?

·
Registered
4,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Low compression, 9:1 compression 454, th-400 3:08 or 2:73 rear end...

Run 87 octane and tune it with this fuel.

On the street you want low compression, very volatile fuel, give it lots of timing, I run my 454 at 22 initial..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one of each and am trying to decide on which one to use in my 66. I can use the 283 with a turbo 350 or the 427 with a turbo 400. Mine originally wasn`t a Super Sport it came with the 283 but a big block and an SS hood would really look nice plus I might pull my boat with it from time to time. What do you guys think.
I'm keeping the stock 283 in my '65 for now. Only because the car has 70,000 original miles, and it is the original engine. 195 hp 2 bbl, but someone put 350 1.94 heads on it. I've found a set of Fuelies up in Abilene, KS that I would like to slap on, and probably a new manifold and 4 bbl, but for now, since the car is really clean, and so true to form I hate to transplant something else. If I wanted a race car, I've have built a Chevelle (like I did to a '69 SS 396 a long time ago!). I don't need to go fast, just stay cool. However, I did find another '65 with a running 327 for $2500 that would be a nice build for speed. My wife would not be happy if I dragged it home. She just doesn't understand...

·
Registered
549 Posts
That's a lot of spare change to drop the bigger valve vortecs on a mouse. They have to be milled right, requires factory gm intake etc. I just was reading a MotorTrend article on exactly that and figure that head swap is north of $1500 to do it right. The motor started out as a stock 305, supposed 145HP, dyno'd 85HP and maxed at just over 3k rpm. Seems more like a very expensive bandaid unless the 195 is dyno'd HP.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have a turbo 400 but I`m gonna find a 700R4

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have a big block chevy, always use the big block chevy; nobody ever installed a big block chevy and then said later "I wish I hadn't done that" :)

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,720 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts