El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE: Because my eMail system was down from Friday evening through Sunday morning, and the fact that our original Contest closing date is on a Saturday, it seems only fair to grant a 2-day extension for the Contest entries. Thus, the new closing date for entries to the 2013 Calendar Competition will now be midnight Monday, September 17th. This allows those of you who wanted to take photos at car shows on Sunday some extra breathing room. There will be no further extensions. Please get your photos entered as soon as you possibly can, because the photos still have to be evaluated, made to fit the proper calendar profile, and transferred to the Gallery before voting can commence. That is a time-consuming process, and this entry date extension will cut the time avaiable for that work down to 3 days. Therefore, the voting will commence on the morning of September 23rd at approximately 8 AM.

2013 NECOA Calendar Contest Rules

The 2013 NECOA Calendar contest has begun, with a target date for the submissions, voting, and calendar completion by the middle of November. To facilitate the calendar competition this year, we are implementing the following rules. These rules are meant to level the playing field for all, and to spread the riches around by allowing more finalists from a much wider spectrum of the membership. In the past, voting blocks in larger Regions unduly affected who was fortunate enough to “make the show” to some degree. By limiting the number of finalists from each Region, we hope to gather a more representative collection of worthwhile Elkies for our calendars.

1. All submissions should include a full or 3/4 front or rear view, along with either a full left or full right side profile of the Elky. Variations from those quartering shots are not often found on calendars and will generally be disqualified. See these locations for photography suggestions: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=30210&highlight=Photography ,
http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/fototips-condensed.pdf , or, for more extensive help,
http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/home.html.

2. No more than two (2) digital images may be submitted for each member’s Elky. All images submitted MUST be a minimum of 2400 X 1800 pixels in size. However, it’s much better to submit the image just as it came from your digital camera – full size, up to 16 megapixels. Images that are not of high quality and suitable for printing will be rejected at the sole discretion of the Calendar Committee. Per Item 1, all images with a portion of the car cut off will be disqualified.

3. Absolutely NO PhotoShopping of the Elky’s image. Images that have been altered through the use of PhotoShop, or similar software, will be disqualified. Adjustments to the background or areas surrounding the Elky’s image will be allowed, within reason.

4. Each photo submitted MUST have the member's Name, the member's user name on the Forum, the member's NECOA number, the Year, Make & Model of the car, and the City & State where the car is based. Enter this information into the "Caption" area of the entry screen in the order shown above. Submissions will be accepted during the period from midnight August 5, 2012 until midnight, September 15, 2012. All images not meeting the quality requirements of Items 1 and 2, above, may be disqualified without further notice. Resubmissions will be allowed if corrections for quality have been made.

5. Voting will commence at 8 am on September 23rd, 2012, and will end at midnight on October 15, 2012. Only one (1) vote per member per image is allowed. Violations of this rule will result in immediate disqualification of all of the member’s submissions in all categories. Violations of the rules made with the intention of improperly influencing the calendar competition outcome may result in a permanent ban of the member from the Forum.

6. The number of calendar editions this year will depend entirely upon the number and quality of the submissions received. However, the Calendar Committee is considering the publication of Regional Calendars – for those Regions that will have enough usable entries. For a Region to be considered, there must be at least 15 usable Photos submitted of different Elkies, Elkies at Show/Meetings, or Elkies involved in activities that represent the Association. The appearance of a NECOA banner would be a plus. If the number of submissions are not adequate this year to support the Regional Calendar concept, the Committee will consider publishing the same Generation calendars as last year (2012).

7. No more than three (3) images from any individual Region will be included in the “Showpiece” calendar. By “Showpiece”, I refer to the main calendar that we publish each year. That calendar contains the top vote-getters from the Calendar Contest, and will have four 5th gens, two 4th gens, three 3rd gens, two 2nd gens, and two 1st gens - an acknowledgement of the numbers of each generation's numbers in the real world. This will be the Calendar that results from the voting contest, with the remainder of the multiple vote Elkies being used in either the Generation based Calendars or the Regional based Calendars, whichever way we go. They will be used as needed, in accordance with Rule 7 and others.

If more than three (3) Elkies from one Region obtain a higher number of votes than those from other Regions, only the first three (3) will appear in the calendar. The next highest vote-getters from other Regions will be moved up for the final result. Final numbers may be adjusted by the Calendar Committee if necessary because of finalists’ limitations, and editorial privilege may be implemented to fulfill the Board’s desire for a balanced representation of the Association’s membership.

8. For the “Showpiece” calendar only, winners from the previous year’s “Showpiece” will not be eligible for the current year calendar. The previous year’s winners will remain eligible for all calendars other than the “Showpiece”. This exclusion will be for only the preceding year’s winners, to give other members a chance at the honor of being included.

9. Best of luck to all, and let’s begin searching out that “just right” photo setting!

Additional Information

Let me remind everyone to please read and comply with the rules above for size and composition of your photos. You can use the attached document on photography that I’ve put together to help in conforming your photos to the guidelines. Only two (2) photos of your Elky per entry in the Photo Contest! Each photo submitted MUST have the member's Name, the member's user name on the Forum, the member's NECOA number, the Year, Make & Model of the car, and the City & State where the car is based. Enter this information into the message area of the transmitting eMail.

This year, we may do something very different with our calendar publication. If we can get the number and quality of photos necessary, we are considering the publication of “Regional” calendars. These, if published, would replace the “Generation” calendars published in the past. To accomplish the Regional publications, we need lots of entries in the Photo Contest, at least 15 from each area to be considered for a publication. And Regional doesn’t necessarily mean a Region such as Region 17. I can see grouping several of the States around Region 17 into a “El Caminos of the American West” Calendar, just as an example. The number and titles of the Regional calendars will depend entirely on the numbers and quality of photos submitted.

Also to be considered for the Regional calendars will be photos of grouped Elkies, with members, taken at shows or meetings. Also considered would be photos of multiple members working on their elky. We want interesting photos involving Elkies! If you question whether you’ve got the right photo, send it in! The Regional calendars, if published, are a work in progress right now, so ask questions about the right photos. Send in as many as you can of these photos. The Committee will have final say on what will be used in the final product...............................Ken

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!

This is an important subject, my friends. Please read and provide comment - AND photos! If you don't think we listen to your comments, see the description of the Regional Calendars. This concept was suggested by several different members who should be very proud of their past suggestions....................Ken :dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
The issue i have is all i have seen are show quality, mine will never see paint or chrome, so ill pass thanks for the offer but lumpy is outclassed as usual:beer:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spring Fling?

Send in some photos of your gathering, Woody. Those would be good subjects for the Regional calendars. We can get everybody involved in these if we work at it. Or do you have any good quality shots of any burnouts with your Lumpy? That may be a good one?................Ken :beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..Yeah,I kinda feel the same way,my Elky is a daily driver and it to is outclass by all of the others nice looking Elkys.
:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
pics

Send in some photos of your gathering, Woody. Those would be good subjects for the Regional calendars. We can get everybody involved in these if we work at it. Or do you have any good quality shots of any burnouts with your Lumpy? That may be a good one?................Ken :beer:
ok ken ill see what i can come up with thanks:You_Rock:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
You state that you want all of our user info (name, id, # and car info) in the "description area"

What is meant by description area?

BTW, even if you think your car isnt calender worthy, I am submitting pics of my 64.

In real life she is kinda ugly but cleans up really well for the camera.:secret:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You state that you want all of our user info (name, id, # and car info) in the "description area"

What is meant by description area?

BTW, even if you think your car isnt calender worthy, I am submitting pics of my 64.

In real life she is kinda ugly but cleans up really well for the camera.:secret:
Good Question, Sean! Please include that information in the eMail message that you transmit the photos with.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
2013 NECOA Calendar Contest Rules

3. Absolutely NO PhotoShopping of the Elky’s image. Images that have been altered through the use of PhotoShop, or similar software, will be disqualified. Adjustments to the background or areas surrounding the Elky’s image will be allowed, within reason.

Do you mean this literally ... no Photoshopping, including such simple things as adjusting color balance, contrast or exposure? I check these items on nearly every photo I shoot. You would be surprised what a difference just a little contrast and exposure adjustment makes.

You imply that the background can be adjusted ... does that mean cropping is OK? How about removing objects, such as people, utility poles or wires?

I'm not entering the contest, at least this year, but to say no Photoshopping seems a bit draconian.

Copper

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would suggest that the Calendar commitee looks at the sales of previous years before you do away with any of the past calendar's. Good luck to All. I enjoy my 2012 5th Gen. calendar every day. Now time to figure out a good background for 2013 photo.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,522 Posts
Time to start getting ideas for photos. :nanawrench:

For those that think "my elky is not pretty enough", etc. etc., my 5th gen has been in two different calendars over the years. It has a dented front fender, an unpainted hood, and rust bubbles on the roof. And did any of these faults show up? Not really. Like Sharp71 said, you would be surprised what the right lighting, angle and a little polish will do. So, take your best shot...don't be chicken.:poke:

Ken, one question for you: what about submissions with 2 Elkies? Would that be OK for the main calendar, or is that considered more material for the regional calendar (which I'm fairly confident region 13 will be able to provide more than enough material for)?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Do you mean this literally ... no Photoshopping, including such simple things as adjusting color balance, contrast or exposure? I check these items on nearly every photo I shoot. You would be surprised what a difference just a little contrast and exposure adjustment makes.

You imply that the background can be adjusted ... does that mean cropping is OK? How about removing objects, such as people, utility poles or wires?

Copper
What he said "Adjustments to the background or areas surrounding the Elky’s image will be allowed, within reason.".
...This is a good question,Can I adjust the contrast and brightness.????:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yellow cars should remain Yellow................

No photoshopping means no placing the cars in different settings, no changing the regular, everyday colors of the Elky, and no changing the car from it's regular, everyday appearance. You cannot replace a damaged fender or a mismatched paintjob. Cropping is OK - we will do that if necessary before the photo is approved for entry. Whether "draconian" or not, those are the rules under which the photos must be submitted. Now, if you have a bad exposure that needs more light, a simple contrast adjustment a very simple adjustment that does nothing to enhance the "normal" appearance of the car, then that is OK. But don't put the car on the edge of the Grand Canyon or in JellyStone Park to enhance the chances of the car being voted into the Calendar. You cannot use PhotoShop, or any similar software to make your chances better than another member. That includes removing objects, people, or buildings. Members without PhotoShop, or without the ability to use PhotoShop would be at a disadvantage to someone who can use that or a similar program. If anyone has specific questions, please refer them to the Calendar committee..........................Ken

I'm not entering the contest, at least this year, but to say no Photoshopping seems a bit draconian.

Copper

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 Elkes OK.............

Thanks very much for your comments, Rush! They are right on target, and express the NECOA's position exactly. And yes, if you have two Elkies, go ahead and submit the both of them. We probably will limit the entry to 2 Elkies from each member though, because it could get a bit out of control with more than 2 per member. Thanks again, Rush.....................Ken :beer:

Time to start getting ideas for photos. :nanawrench:

For those that think "my elky is not pretty enough", etc. etc., my 5th gen has been in two different calendars over the years. It has a dented front fender, an unpainted hood, and rust bubbles on the roof. And did any of these faults show up? Not really. Like Sharp71 said, you would be surprised what the right lighting, angle and a little polish will do. So, take your best shot...don't be chicken.:poke:

Ken, one question for you: what about submissions with 2 Elkies? Would that be OK for the main calendar, or is that considered more material for the regional calendar (which I'm fairly confident region 13 will be able to provide more than enough material for)?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
No photoshopping means no placing the cars in different settings, no changing the regular, everyday colors of the Elky, and no changing the car from it's regular, everyday appearance. You cannot replace a damaged fender or a mismatched paintjob. Cropping is OK - we will do that if necessary before the photo is approved for entry. Whether "draconian" or not, those are the rules under which the photos must be submitted. Now, if you have a bad exposure that needs more light, a simple contrast adjustment a very simple adjustment that does nothing to enhance the "normal" appearance of the car, then that is OK. But don't put the car on the edge of the Grand Canyon or in JellyStone Park to enhance the chances of the car being voted into the Calendar. You cannot use PhotoShop, or any similar software to make your chances better than another member. That includes removing objects, people, or buildings. Members without PhotoShop, or without the ability to use PhotoShop would be at a disadvantage to someone who can use that or a similar program. If anyone has specific questions, please refer them to the Calendar committee..........................Ken

This seems reasonable. I just wanted to find out what, exactly, no Photoshopping and within reason actually meant.

Copper

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
No worries. Only a little humor injected and I was egging it on too. I owe you a :beer:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts