El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two 64 Elkys. Both cars share a strange mystery. One has a 67 GTO rear which is the same width as a stock 64 axle. The other has a 70 or 71 posi rear which is a inch wider overall from drim to drum. I have 5" backspacing on the narrower rear wheels and 51/2" backspacing on the late model wider rear. Theoretically the spacing and clearance should be idetincal on all four rear wheels , but they are not. On both cars the driver,s side wheel is very close ( approx 5/8") to the inside lip of the fender and the passenger side wheels are about an 1 1/8" away from the fener wheel opening inner lip.
Neither car has been hit and both rears are mounted with after market arms and bushings. The cars have proper alignment and track perfectly straight. This is not causing any problems at all. I just want to understand why this is. Does anyone else with a 2nd gen have the same anomaly?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
couldnt you just loosen all of the body bolts and shift it over to center it? i have owned a 65 chevelle and dont remember it being off like yours

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Everything is bolted properly. I have a friend with a couple of A body muscle cars. Most of his 64-67 cars have yhis same quirk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts