El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen that most of the answers to the questions regarding performance modifications on a 305 is "build a 350 instead". Granted, I will agree that using comparable parts a 350 will always make more power.
All of the modifications that work on any other engine will work on the 305 as it is nothing more than a typical internal combustion engine. It might not make as much power as some other combination, and all engines have some sort of limitation as to what you can achieve. Vortec heads will work on a 305, but in order to get the compression back up, you have to mill them a whole bunch making them essentially useless on anything other than a 305. Not to mention that the chamber "width" is larger than the bore of the 305 creating a "step" in the airflow into the cylinder potentially hurting performance further. Pistons and rings might cost a bit more than a 350, but they are still not anything "Oh my god."
307's may have made more advertised hp, but they were also "gross rated" an not "net" rated like the 305. They (305) typically are not any more or less durable than any other small block Chevy if assembled correctly. Everybody has a "magical combination" for the 350 and claim that it will "beat anything on the road" in some form or another. If it was pure performance that everyone was after, then build a bigger engine. For reasonable street performance, the 305 is not as bad as some may claim. The first engine I ever built was a 305 in a '78 Nova with a four speed. It ran high 13's at just under 100 mph and that was with a peg leg 3.08, and 225/60-14 radials. Trust me the 60' foot time was nothing to be proud of due to a serious lack of traction. (Probably helped that Saginaw live another day)
I'm not trying to say that its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they're not as bad as poeple think. Especially for street performance.
There are a lot of engines that people still build these days that are not the greatest for peformance yet they are still getting screwed together everyday. (aka 326, 350 Pontiac; 350, 403 Olds; nailhead Buick; flathead and "Y" block Fords, etc)

The biggest thing to remember is that no matter how fast you make it, someone will always be faster. Also, be realistic with your goals. As I mentioned earlier, all engines have limitations, especially when you are on a budget. I'm not trying to bash anyone's ride in any way but for some of the folks that are learning, there are MANY other areas to learn about other than what engine should I build for a bit more power? If a 305 is what you already have, go ahead and tinker, it could be the money that wasn't spent on hunting a 350 core that helped pay for your _________. (fill in the blank) Another engine can always be built at a later date as true "gearheads" are never really finished with a project. This is all just my opinion of course, I am sure many other may think differently.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
They can make decent HP, but the cost to machine/rebuild one is the same as 350 or larger smallblock which will make more power more efficiently. I don't see it as worthwhile to upgrade a 305. Unless of course you use basic bolt-ons.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm in your camp Rhimmel. Not all owners here are after low ETs and tire shredding HP. I have a 305 under my hood and I know how it was taken care of. It still purrs like a kitten and is a little stronger than stock.

It meets the tough emissions tests here in the Denver metro area and if and when I do decide to add more performance I have learned a lot from this site.

I just might make old faithful 305 stronger rather than look for a 350 to build or a crate engine. There is something to be said for working with what you have and know.

Doug

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hell I catch my self saying get a 350 for easy power. But when I get my Monte Carlo SS with the 305 I already have inside some mods that will wake the motor it self up while I slowly build my 350. Gonna go with emission equipment still intact, and all smog legal parts where applicapble. This will include a basic roller cam, roller lifters, roller rockers, edelbrock EGR intake manifold, holley 570CFM carb, GMPP HEI distributor, then add on an exhaust system from someone. That alone will wake up the engine and give better performance FOR SURE! Reason for the 570CFM is due toa formula I aquired for carb sizing to matching engine CI and max rpm range of the engine. And calculates a good CFM for a carb!

-Anduh

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I mostly agree with you guys, many times building what you 'got' is more cost effective. And yes, you can have fun with a 305, and it can be warmed up some. But to spend 'big' dollars on 305 upgrades isn't cost effective in dollars to power. If your gonna spend big dollars, buy cubic inches. But most anything can be warmed up, look at some of these 4-banger imports making 600 plus HP on 4 slugs. (scary) Have fun with what you have and be smart about where you go out to 'play'.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i think that alotta times ppl will throw out a budget to rebuild there 305 make more power, and alotta times it just seems that a 350 makes more sence to build just because it is the most common and easiest motor to get parts and power out of. i meen a 350 build has been beaten to death but when parts and prices are in high, quantity and low cost that potental power you can get is always tempting. i have nonthing against the 305's but thats why alotta guys on here are like scrap your 305 and buy a 350 with your cash just get the most bang for your buck. i personallly had allotta fun building up 307's i like the odd ball red headed step child stuff thats why i bought a elky! lol but alotta times its younger guys that wanna build there first motor with there first rod and they honestly dont care about what motor they have its a sbc and is loud if they can get twice the power otta a 350 when they could do it with the stuff and money they have for there 305 thats where i am coming from. i have nothin against 305's it all form the same family and great design, that started way back in 1955 with the 265cui mouse.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
theelcaminofactory said:
Right, right, right...and they make great boat anchors too! (kerplunk) :lol:
:laughing4:

HELP!, HELP!, I'M DRIFTING, SOMEONE THROW ME A 305!

Doug

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I think Ford parts make a better anchor. This is a Chevy site, right?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Performance????
If you pull that 2.8 out of your S-10 and install a 305 you may feel a performance gain.
If you have a 305 in your monte, and you add some bolt ons

You threw your money away

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have three 305s in good running condition---no knocks ---no misses and very little if any smoke---and they are free to a good home----one is from an 83 el camino and the other two are from 85 Monte carls SS's----say what you want but the facts are the facts---the fact is you can make a 305 perform almost as well as a normal 350 but you can build a 350 to the same power level for about half the price both engines can make 300hp but while it requires a basic re-ring in a 350 you have to sweat to make a 305 do it---you don't have to build a screamer everytime but economics say build a 350---just my opinion based on ---oh about 50 such builds...............Dan

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Flaminmeano said:
Performance????
If you pull that 2.8 out of your S-10 and install a 305 you may feel a performance gain.
The 2 biggest mistakes GM made. The 2.8 was poor from the factory, but can be upgraded to make power (for a v6).

The 305 is just out for any practical purposes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here we are again. NOT EVERYONE IS ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY SPENT TO GO 9's IN THE QUARTER!!!! If someone is wanting some more performance from what they allready have, why should they spend x hundred dollars for another engine when the one that they have COULD suite them just fine with some bolt ons. Not everyone is doing a complete, from the ground up build. If that were the case, then yes, look into something bigger that doesn't shroud the valves like the small bore of the 305 does. I'm not saying that it is the most powerful thing in the world, nor the most cost effective in every aspect. All I am saying is that when somebody that doesn't know much about cars asks what they can do for a few more hp, suggest tuning and bolt ons before assuming that the guy(or gal) is gonna build something from a bare block. Everyone's goals and budgets are different. AND you can "learn" a whole bunch more about cars from tuning one than you can from slapping something together. I am not talking about drag racing, dirt track, Bonneville, or any other form of racing. I am talking about street performance. Everyday drivers. Not one of you can argue that if an engine is tuned properly it can run significantly better than a larger engine that is NOT tuned.

A Monkey can build an engine, but a Monkey can not tune one. Thats where we differ, we have logic and reasoning. I suggest that one should LEARN about HOW to make something run better before throwing in the towel on it and going elsewhere.

I am NOT saying that everyone should build a 305. I am just trying to get the point out there that if one might have 305 that runs, wants more power, go ahead and tinker. If that person wants to build something else later, they can apply all of what was learned on the 305 on whatever else they might build. And even possibly use some of the parts that were used on the 305.

That brand new shiny carburetor sure looks great just out of the box. It might make it run better than it did before, but is it running the way it really should? Could you get better driveabilty and mpg from jetting it properly? I think most of us know the answers, but does EVERYONE know how to correct the "problems"?

G

·
I can definately see a place for 305 upgrades. There is one segment of the population that will look at this is a very viable option: drivers (young ones, usually) with limited budgets. This group may not have the ability to shell out $1500 for a crate motor, but might be able to scrape together $300 at a time to upgrade the cam and intake or a new carb. They may run into a great deal on craigslist and get a pair of vortec heads for $250.

I remember when I was in high school working at Burger King for $4.25/hour (early 90's) and I had my first car. It was an '82 Ford Fairmount with a 302 with a Holley 2brl. It was quite a quick car (former police car), being so light. But I wanted to do more. People told me all sorts of things I could do to that 302. Now, the 305 isn't a 302 and just doesn't have the same potential. But that doesn't mean that working with a 305 isn't a great engine to work with and to learn on. An SBC is an SBC. Same prinicples will apply.

I encourage anyone with limited funds to have fun with their 305. In an era where V8's aren't found like they used to be, its nice to show friends a real, working V8. Then, once you have a good, solid job, get the 350 or 383 and play with it. But be realistic about your 305. Its a good engine to get to know and play with. The 305 can be fun. Not explosive power, but one that you can bloody your knuckles on and see a tangible, if slight, improvement. When you want to get serious, go for the 350. Everyone agrees with that. But for the extreme budget builders, go for it, but be realistic.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You see all these Ford hotrods with Chevy engines (for very good reasons).

I would like to see an El Camino with a Ford Boss 302, a C4 trans and Ford nine- inch rear installed. :p That would make some eyeballs bug out.

Doug

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
8) I don't care for cross breeding much but once owned a 65' flat front Ford Econoline van with a Chrysler 440 TNT motor with a push button 727 torqueflight and an 8 3/4 posi with 4:10 gears! :cool:

It's all cool if someone wants to soup up a 305. No different than back in the day hopping up a 6cyl Chevy in my 54' Belaire or the old 326 Poncho in my 66' Lemans. I once cammed up an old 352 Ford and added a tri-power setup I got complete from the bone yard for 100 bucks complete with linkage! It was how we all got started on meager budgets. Yeah, we wern't the fastest guy on the street but we felt we were! Especially after you added the old Hush Thrush cans!!! :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
:( :eek: oww I think I just throwed up a little :cool:
[ ford in a elky you outta be ashamed of your self using a 4 letter word like that 8O :) ]

·
Registered
133 Posts
4.3, 305 , 350 , sbc bb they all have a place and a time all have the ablity
to produce a respectable street motor figure out what you want before you throw money at any thing then with a little research and planning you can have your cake and eat it to with out wasting your hard gotten cash
i built my stroker this way and it ended up costing me about the same as rebuilding the 350 with stock parts .30 over
look think then go with your heart

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would like to see an El Camino with a Ford Boss 302, a C4 trans and Ford nine- inch rear installed. That would make some eyeballs bug

9 in ford is about the only thing i would swap on my chevy..lol

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There's a reason Ford guys swap in Chevy engines. But it just doesn't work the other way.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts