El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Well that Mustang Boss 302 was some engine. In fact they are reproducing new 302 Boss engines. The Ford C4 trans is also hard to beat, it can be made to handle a lot of HP. Ford may be a four-letter word, but I enjoy my 64-1/2 Mustang convt. I like all classic cars. If I had the room for them I would be car poor. I told my wife we need a five or six car garage with an attached house. :)

Doug

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well in my case, the original 46K 229 sat long enough for it to lock up. I am sure that no matter what any of you might think of the 305, it sure beats a frozen 229.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Flaminmeano said:
Performance????
If you pull that 2.8 out of your S-10 and install a 305 you may feel a performance gain.

I am going to use my fresh improved 305 in my S10 also I think it is a good V8 swap. Lower weight and small.

Can you remove a 305 and put in a 350 and still bolt all the 305 stuff to it? I think there is an issue with exhaust manifolds as I remember.

You threw your money away

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry Bad quote.

The fact that 305 was the base motor for all elkys since 78 is the reason for this blog. One has to look at the fact that all late model elkys are under smog rule and limited by complete driveline rebuilds! Unlike older elkys that came with the nesessary nuts to make them muscle cars. That is one reason to go vintage. But on the other side of the coin you have to use the late models to get the modern technology. Like ponitless ign, roller cam, vortec ect. Maybe next they will make the next V6 elkys with both 400HP and fuel efficient!!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
the design of the 305 is just wrong on so many levels---its a small bore long stroke engine that was built when meeting smog regulations was in its infancy---the facts are that a 350 is more economical to build and drive than a 305--it is just a more efficient design--it gets better miles per gallon that a 305, is cheaper to build at any power level and are plentiful. A 305 will last a long time--no argument there---but why--if you have one in good shape fine, drive it to death but if you have to build or rebuild an engine then why would you spend more to build an engine that makes less power and uses more fuel to do it???? Just doesn't make sense..........Dan

·
Registered
122 Posts
Heh heh. All I can think is why wouldn't you want a big block.

I'm a firm believer in playing the hand that's dealt, but if I'm drawing four out of five cards I'm looking for the four of a kind.

If you have a 305; slap on some loud muffler's and concentrate on putting your money into the chassis. When you've built excess rubber then go after the bigger engine (a motor plugs into a wall, my Elky don't do that). Save up your dime's because pennies won't get you far anyhow. This is an expensive hobby and if you don't love it more than your kids scrap the whole plan now.

When you buy that new engine; throw down for the cubes and don't muck around with the mice. There's a lot to be said for poppin' the hood on an Elky and seeing wall to wall engine. It's like God put it there.

If all you want is a little extra umph on your daily then save your gas money and get a small shot off the bottle for when you want to show off.

Just my humblest of opinions. I guess, at the age of 34, I finally get to say "Ha ha! I've got a BBC and you don't!!"
:p
Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Can't wait for the future, but guess I'll have to.

I love these debates with no perfect answer. .45 vs. 9 mm, 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke motorcycles, torque vs. horsepower, Syn vs. dino juice, Craftsman vs. Snap-On, dog vs. cat, wife vs. beer, ...

I look forward to a future debate of 350 vs. 427 small block. It will be great to do a 427 block for the same price as a 350. Probably though, it'll be a debate of 350 vs. electric/hydrogen/corn/frog urine.

In other words, relish in this friendly debate. Let us hope we have it for a long time.

Take care.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I agree with Dan on not spending money to rebuild a 305. That said a 305 can run pretty strong with a well tuned carb, dual exhausts and a K&N air filter. Of course everything else needs to be working right, spark plugs, wires and feed-back items to the ECM, O2 sensor etc.

I think my '85 runs great, actually a little stronger than my newly acquired '87, that has the better 308 rear axle. But other than a new Monte Carlo SS style exhaust and K&N air filer, I have not tweaked anything else yet. I'll be checking the timing, knock sensor, proper advance and heat riser action among other things.

As far as gas milage, the 350 engine is no gas miser and I don't believe it gets better milage than a 305 that has a good working Rochester E4ME carburetor.

Doug

·
Registered
380 Posts
dougs85 said:
sensor etc.

As far as gas milage, the 350 engine is no gas miser and I don't believe it .gets better milage than a 305 that has a good working Rochester E4ME carburetor.

Doug

I agree!!!

·
Banned
8 Posts
I have done a few 305's and had reasonably good results.
Thing to remember is that almost all aftermarket parts are for 350+ engines.
The cam needs to be a smaller lobe separation angle. Isky makes a special 256 cam for the 305. Not in the catalogue anymore, but still available and will really wake up a near stock 305. Headers help a lot, too. Intakes only help a little and the Q-Jet is perfect.
If you want serious power from the 305 and can buy heads, EQ Cylinder heads makes 305 specific heads that REALLY WORK!!! These with the Isky cam, a Performer RPM(with the heads), and headers will make you think you have a slightly warmed over 350 and still sound stock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A 305 can make good power. the one i had in my 79' made great power, on its worst days it could break the tires loose from a roll and burn em down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
See? That's what I am talking about. If someone asked me what combo to go with to run 9's, I wouldn't say "305" anything. But for reasonable STREET power, durability, mpg, etc. I'd say, "why not" if its cost effective. If nothing else, here's some really good things about a 305:

1) It IS still a SBC

2) It's NOT a 267

3)While some might sound better than others, it will never sound like a Honda with a kazoo muffler no matter what you do or don't do to it.

*side note: I guess that the 267 isn't THAT bad being that is has the right set up from the factory to install anything other than another 267.

Though mine currently handles like a bad hangover, it should run solid in the 14's with the dumpy ratios of the Saginaw 3-speed, sounds good (to me)and gets 19mpg on the hwy even though it still runs rich....and that's not too bad considering that it has no O/D and a "lopey" cam. Above all else, it's mine, I like it, and its fun for me to drive even if nobody else likes it!

-Rob

·
Registered
214 Posts
old_coot said:
the design of the 305 is just wrong on so many levels---its a small bore long stroke engine that was built when meeting smog regulations was in its infancy---the facts are that a 350 is more economical to build and drive than a 305--it is just a more efficient design--it gets better miles per gallon that a 305, is cheaper to build at any power level and are plentiful. A 305 will last a long time--no argument there---but why--if you have one in good shape fine, drive it to death but if you have to build or rebuild an engine then why would you spend more to build an engine that makes less power and uses more fuel to do it???? Just doesn't make sense..........Dan
AHMEN!

·
Registered
340 Posts
My 305 runs like a raped ape! I yanked all the smog stuff (no smog checks), added a comp 260 cam, hooker headers, 2.5 mandrel bent duals and a new HEI. Then I unbloted the heads (manifold, carb and all) and dropped it in the dumpster. Replaced that with World Products S/R 305 Torquer heads (complete for about $700), and plopped on Edelbrocks TPI/with the RPM AirGap.

Now granted it takes the system as a whole (trans, convertor, rearend) to make anything work it's best.

It outruns my buddies 69 Camaro R/S. It's a stock 350.

The best part of this is I get to play with and learn what works and what dont. When I have squeezed all the power/knowledge out of that 305, I can unbolt the big ticket items and put them on the 383 without going thru another learning curve.

There's some kind of sick, sinister joy I know I'm going to get the day I put the turbo on the 305 and run it till it Grenades :bomb: .

Maybe not everyone likes to tinker, and experiment, bit for those of us who do, there's nothing wrong with starting with a sacrificial 305.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Good for you Mike, but damn you'r going to sacrifice that poor lil ole 305. I got an idea, just as soon as you blow it up, you send me the heads. I don't think you will be using them on a 350. :cool:

Anyway, give me the first right of refusal.:)

Doug

·
Registered
340 Posts
Strictly speaking from a 305 point of view, those heads make a HUGE difference. They're a "fast burn" design with manley valves, screw in studs, etc. I't definantly makes sense to buy these heads if you are considering rebuilding factory heads and keeping the 305.
I love the pro-flow. A simple chip change and its ready for the 383. :)

G

·
You all know what you should do if your thinking about buying a engine. Well just save your money like me and buy like a 396 or a 454 and put that into your El Camino.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You know the trouble with that Tuggy, when you step down hard on the accelerator you bend the gas gauge needle.:lol:

Doug

21 - 40 of 63 Posts