El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the Forum's and I could really use some help with my engine rebuild. I have a 77 El Camino Classic with a 305 2bbl carb. I will be replacing the carb later on after I rebuild the engine first. Which brings me to my topic. I am in deep need of help on choosing the right rebuild kit for the Engine. I don't know where to get the best quality for the best price and I figured that someone on here could be of great help. I want to build the engine to add more torque rather than horse power. Any help would be greatly appreciated and as soon as I get a new cord for my camera I will post some pics for everyone to see my progress.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you my friend, mines a 350. I'd be interested in some 4th gen owners opinions too, although I know next to nothing about rebuilding motors. Just wanted you to know you're not alone buddy. :happy:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
It is almost impossible to order a kit for an engine before it is torn down and checked. You don't know if it will need to be bored, the crank turned and etc. I have found that the machine shops that can check it out for you get a better deal on the parts than I can find anywhere else. They buy them wholesale all day long. find a busy machine shop and you will also probably find the best price on the parts.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use powerhouse in bakersfield ca. they ship world wide.a kit for a 350 is under 200 $ stock cast pistons, rings ,bearings,timing set,freeze plugs and gaskets,cam and lifters.oil pump. but as mentioned you need all of your sizes first

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I took the easy way out Jegs 350 260hp $1469.00 delivered to my door. Everything off my 1987 305 bolted up even the dipstick.

Three year 100,000 mi. factory warranty included. This engine was also a pre 85 block.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the replies, but I have bought the Elky from a one time owner and he said that he had never done anything to the engine but routine maintenance. Nothing has ever been bored and it has all stock parts. The engine runs now but needs to be primed with fuel down the carb to get started, so I'm thinking that, that means the carb just needs to be cleaned and tuned. So how do I go about getting a rebuild kit for a stock 305 engine or is there different sizes for different year stock engines?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the same boat as you my friend, mines a 350. I'd be interested in some 4th gen owners opinions too, although I know next to nothing about rebuilding motors. Just wanted you to know you're not alone buddy. :happy:
Do you know of anywhere good to get parts for the 77 classic that you would not mind lending to me? I have used elcaminostore.com and ebay for certain things but there are certain parts that I can not find such as some of the chrome trim that runs down the side of the bed. and the upper bed panel for the quick access that bolts on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It shows 135,000 on the odometer but I think it is broken and in the glove box was some old registration paper work and just about everyone said 135,000 miles. So either I'm thinking that it is broken or he just never moved it for quite some years.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
For your carb. use Mountain Man fuel systems he's online or 479-639-2022 their well known here and you won't be shafted and he may know someone for whatever else you need.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I have a Quadrajet rebuild kit I'll sell for $20 shipped. Give me the part number on your carb and I'll verify I have the correct kit.

Jack

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definitely want to do a complete rebuild of the engine. I want to get 400+ HP out of it and plenty of torque. As far as mountain man what is his website? I have heard of him and it has been nothing but good things. Thank you for the offer of the carb rebuild kit for the carb but I have only a 2bbl at the moment and want to upgrade to a 4bbl once I get to that part of the engine rebuild.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hey jergar4 i know where there is a complete 1977 elcamino, trim is all there also, let me know what you need ill see what i can do. cheers

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I definitely want to do a complete rebuild of the engine. I want to get 400+ HP out of it and plenty of torque. As far as mountain man what is his website? I have heard of him and it has been nothing but good things. Thank you for the offer of the carb rebuild kit for the carb but I have only a 2bbl at the moment and want to upgrade to a 4bbl once I get to that part of the engine rebuild.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mountain-Man-Carburetors-Fuel-Inj

·
Registered
397 Posts
TAKE IT FROM ME... Im almost done with a 305 rebuild.. i kept the stock pistons and crankshaft... i could have bought a 383 stroker crate engine. or a 350 crate engine and had money left for a cold 12 pack to enjoy it.. but i didnt and im stressing everyday the engine is on the engine stand.. its a can of worms you might have never wanted to open..

SO MAKE SURE WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR before you OBAMA it "THROW MONEY AT IT, TO TRY TO MAKE IT BETTER"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you HKDUP87 and Woody31 I will definitely be using Mountain Man when it comes to getting a 4bbl. And Woody31 I know what trim I need I just don't know exactly what it is called so I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow so you can see for yourself. Just to check the trim that you are talking about is for the Classic edition right? If so it is basically the trim all the way down both side's of the Elky that make the white paint strip down the middle and it also goes onto the tailgate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See Mr. Nasty the problem is, is that there is so many non-believers of the 305 out there. The truth is that the 305 has the ability to have the power. I would rather have a 350 or a 383 stroker but since the car came with a 305 I am willing to work with it and blow the hell out of people and leave them at the line just to surprise them with a 305 under the hood.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
yep thats it its all there real decent shape too its a shame its in the pick n pull
let me know it wont be there long ....cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yep thats it its all there real decent shape too its a shame its in the pick n pull
let me know it wont be there long ....cheers
If you can give me a price quote and set something up with pay pal or something we can go from there

1 - 20 of 26 Posts