El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i found out the hard way that a 305 to 350 swap is not a simple swapover. I traded a computer rebuild to my next door neighbor " mechanic" for a 305 to 350 long block swap. First he ordered the wrong block.. so it was off to the junkyard for the right oilpan... then bought the wrong waterpump. The list goes on and on... but the BIGGIE is that when i went to install the new harmonic balancer ( yes he told me i could use the 305 balancer... but i got wise by this point and checked with the auto store and purchased the correct one) i found that i couldnt get the new bolt started. Thinking that the shop may have not tapped the threads out i ran a tap in.... only upon removal to get it caught up in a helicoil insert. Needless to say the insert is no longer there. My question to you all is should i insert a new heli and install new balancer??? Will a heli take the torque required to install t he new balancer?Should the crank be tapped out for the next size bolt?? Anyone have EXPERIENCE in this area??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the bellhousing welded back up that my neighbor cracked while installing and have all accessories installed. However i cannot get the new 350 to fire up. When timing is set to spec i get nothing, retard the timing and i get backfiring thru the carb. The guy behind the counter at the parts store thinks that the cam and crank were'nt properly alligned when the timing chain was installed. Does this make sense?? I think the intake gasket that my neighbor :evil: installed may be leaking. Any ideas anyone?Any way to check without pulling everything back apart??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts