El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: Hello everyone. I'm looking for opinions/advise. It has come time to repower my 85 elky,it now has a 305. Would like to put in a 350 but at the same time keep it somewhat legal, ( computer.sensors, etc ). Will I be able to keep 305's computer,sensors and just swap everything over?
also will the 350 be able to live up to it's potential?

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Sturge said:
Also will the 350 be able to live up to it's potential?
By potential, what are you expecting? I just dropped a 355 in my 78 Camaro, bored, balance and blue printed. 274 XE comp cam, 3:23 rear end, built 350 turbo, 10:5:1 compression, but it's still streetable (barely)...estimated at 390 hp @ the rear wheels and that's in a 3,600 lb car 8O But then again my engine buddy works for Joe Gibbs...So everything is realitive...

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I started this same quest several years ago before the state eliminated envornmental testing. I used an article in Chevy High Performance that outlined the following changes. You need a 350 Knock sensor, a new Spark Control Module, a set of new secondary jets for the Quadrajet and a custom chip From Jet Performance. Choosing the right intake, with the proper number of places to install all of the vacumn and temperature controlled switches is critical. I have the part numbers for several of the required parts, in fact, I have several of the required parts I never used. Let me know If I can provide either the numbers or actual parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Define "legal" and what are you expecting out of a stock 350? IMHO the 350 earned it's rep in factory muscle cars and hot rod rebuilds. I can't see that a stock 305 swap to a stock 350 really gains you that much. Just another stock small block. Does the state that your end REALLY check all that stuff? Here in the part of Texas I live in they don't check anything at all.

I am pulling my 305 June 3rd and installing a 350, but it is anything but legal by say, the State of California's terms, but, Very legal where I live. Hot rodders have done just about anything you can do to a 350, hence it gained a reputation as a very rebuildable and performance enhancable engine.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. The reason for swapping to a 350 is that the 305 is tired, and a new 350 long block, four bolt mains, pm rods costs less than I can get the machine work & new parts for. I' m not looking for alot more power at this time, but do expect a little more. The plus side is that if I ever wanted to do something more, I have a good foundation to start with. Yes the state does check all the smog equipment for state inspections where I live. elmpala I am interested in the parts and numbers you have. PM me and see what we can work out. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
emissions testing in MA is easy to get through. Know a mechanic who does inspections? a crisply folded $50 bill will get you that sticker ;)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The 350 is sort of like a "Generic PC". Lots of different vendors making all sorts of upgrades some really good some not worth the money. With the proper combination of upgrades a stellar engine will emerge. With the SBC you can create an engine with more than 600 Hp and better than 500 Lb./ft. of toque naturally aspirated. :cool:

I don't believe there is another engine from any other manufacturer that shares the availability of parts, information or examples. Nothing, I believe has bee tested as much or studied so often as the 350 SBC. So given that amount of attention and detail why not go that rout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts