El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 305 and want more power. Should I go with a crate 350 or upgrade my 305 by boring it out and adding some blt on power?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
To do a 305 right for what you want, you'd spend as much, if not more, than on a crate 350. Try a 383 if you REALLY wanna go somewhere. And, no I don't have a 383.:smileyb::smileyb: Gots a plain jane 350.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have an LS1 (I think, Its from a special edition 69 camaro) would it be worth changing everthing out or would it be overkill for the light weight and the expense with the tranny and all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe Im wrong on the engine then. I dont think the one I have could get better mileage. The pistons are slighty larger than a Softball. Theyre HUGE. Never seen any like that and the have indentions like none ive seen either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
You can get a 350 crate engine from Jegs for $1500. That's a brand new engine. You'll need to bolt on your own intake manifold, carb, valve covers, starter, and water pump. That "long block" is identical in size, shape, bolt holes, etc., as your 305. In fact, if you painted it the same color (I think it comes black), no one could tell you had changed it.

Note this will come to your door with free shipping.

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/10067353/10002/-1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,533 Posts
welcome Mike
a LS motor in a 69 camero would probly be a big block?? can you do some pics??
they did have a LT1 small block.. run the numbers on the block and see what you have for sure..

id check the gears in the rear end first,, 86 Elkys came with real tall gears and kills the performance..

383s are sweet, lots a torq, and they bolt right in place of 305..:texas:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,102 Posts
more cubic inches is the cheapest hp increase. you can either make the little motor work hard or let the bigger one coast along. it is more your intended use of the car and how much of the work you do yourself.if you build your own motors and dont need a race car or need to be the first one there .rebuild the 305 to L69 specs and put some 342 or 373 gears in the rearend and you will have a fun and fuel effiecient car. if you need more then go the 350. but i will tell you this i have a 84 z28 that came with the L69 305 and 700r4 with 373 gears and when new it ran away from many 350 powered chevy camaro s and got over 20 mpg. it now has a stock roller cammed 350 in it and doesnt run much stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,698 Posts
ccc;386925 it is more your intended use of the car and how much of the work you do yourself..[/QUOTE said:
I picked this part of Carl's post because truer words are seldom spoken (IMO)!
You must ask yourself exactly what you want your trucklet to do every time you drive it. If you build a tire shredder but only use it that way 3% of the time you drive it, I can almost guarantee you won't be happy driving it the other 97% of the time. Build it for its intended use.

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Oldtinsmith, I agree so much, When i first got my elky i was building it in my head as a tire shredder, but now i just wanna cruse and enjoy the sweet sound of her rolling down the backroads.

Btw love the word "Trucklet"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Future 305 swap to 350 engine

A new roller cam 350 short block with Vortec cylinder heads, Holley 650 cfm carburetor, GM HEI ignition, headres, 700R trans with a 347 read end should be just fine. :nanawrench:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Really depends on how deep your pockets are, and what increase in HP your looking for. The 305, a boat anchor at best, a 350 or above will give you what your looking for. I went from the 305, to the crate 350/330hp, and a 4L60 trans and am pleased as punch.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top