El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. Ive had a 72 elco for a while now, but havent had the time to really contribute to a huge project until recently. I've been wanting to convert the 350 to a 383 stroker. Ive been picking up parts for the project:
dart sbh 200cc heads 64 cc intake
edelbrock 600 carb and high rise performance intake
eagle 383 conversion crank, piiston, flywheel, etc.
I did a few weeks of researching before i picked up these parts, but I didnt take enough time to look at my engine itself. When it was sold to me it was sold as 35o tubo engine, tranmission. Actuallly, it was a 305. I was lucky enough to find an actual 350 block for $50 that looks great.

Now my issue is the transmission and driveshaft. I found a good deal for a 400th tran. that Id like to pick up, but I dont know enough about the transmission fitting in right for my specific situation. I also dont know what kind of connection will work for the driveshaft or length of the driveshaft. Will the driveshaft from the 305 work? or would i just need to replace the end connecting to the transmission?

Thanks a ton!

·
Premium Member
12,546 Posts
Welcome,
What trans do you have now? And don't let it happen twice, are you sure it's a 400.
Heres is a pic of what the shape of the pan should be

Donny

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to believe it was a 350, however it was it pretty bad shape so I decided not to reuse it. The owner of the 400 is selling it with a warranty which makes me more comfortable, but thank you for the oil pan picture I would never of though of looking at that!

I read some forums about the size of the transmission and I convinced it will fit fine. I just need to find out more about the drive shaft for a 400 and length.

·
Registered
276 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts