El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i currently have a sbc 305 in my 79 camino. Stock motor and everything is original. My buddy has a 6.2 diesel bolted up to a rebuilt TH400 tranny that i want to buy for my el camino, but i have no idea how easy this would be to swap. Does anybody know anything that would help? What new parts would i need and what do i need to get to make it work? Front springs? Radiator? Motor mounts? I just want some background info and tips on what i need to get and what i need to do and change to make it work.
Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Basicly the same as an ls swap. You'll most likely need to custom make your motor mounts and possibly a trans cross member. The hardest thing you'll have to contend with is the wiring and computer and you'll need a high pressure diesel fuel pump. And fitment under the hood will be a huge issue. 6.2 is a big motor especially if its a Turbo unless its been converted to n/a (lame) the th400 depending on weather its a short sharlft or a long shaft and if its a fixed or slip yoke you'll most likely need to have a drive shaft made and unless you like the frontier end dragging the ground deff get new frot springs. But having said that it can be done and it deff has the cool factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 6.2 is very similar to a 454 in weight and size it does not require a high pressure pump it can use a stock block mounted sbc pump or equivilent electric pump it does need at least a bb sized radiator you will most likely want to turbo it the 6.5 turbo components will not clear the ac system i dont know about the banks setup the 6.2/6.5 use standard sb/bb block mounts nothing fancy or custom idk if the stock drive shaft will work. Most 6.2s i think are mechanical so wirings really simple oh if you go turbo depending on the kit your crossunder pipe routing will not be fun neither will the down pipe good luck if you need any more diesel specefic information let me know but be aware im not using the el camino frame so i cant help much with those questions

·
Registered
929 Posts
It would be really cool, but the 6.2 is what I would call a farm implement engine. It's going to be unbearably slow. Even the turbo 6.5s are underwhelming. Like stated it would be a fairly straight forward swap. You could even get g body diesel springs to support the weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts