El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 with a 305 in it. My paychecks aren't that big and i was just wondering if you guys had any ideas for some non-costly performance upgrades. I already did new exhaust which helped a little. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Headers. Didn't you say that you didn't put headers on when you installed the new exhaust?

305 is not famous for producing lots of power. The HO 305 (seems like an Oxymoron :D) was not terrible but it was not great either.

Now here is what I would do. I would make sure that everything I buy for it would not only enhance its rather anemic performance but would be able to be used on a 350 later.

Some Vortec Heads and Intake would be a good start and a fair Cam. I wouldn't go over 600 CFM for now. The heads and intake will be suitable for a 350 up to about 400 Hp. The Vortec heads are a good solid inexpensive upgrade that will flow better than what you have and most all the stock heads that are GM.

Change the gears in the rear end to something like a 3.73:1. That will make it seem like it has more power at launch than it does.

That is my $0.02 worth.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Here's two low buck performance enhancers. How about starting out with a tune up. Then maybe a carb rebuild. A freshly rebuilt carb can add a little more response to any engine.

:mrgreen:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts