El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So disclaimer I'm a big amateur when it comes to being a mechanic so I will try my best to answer any questions you may have to help me figure this thing out. I've got my self a 1986 with a 305, everything on the engine was stock, 163,514 miles on it. (will put a synopsis at the end for those who want a quick read)
It was leaking coolant from either one of the front intake manifold bolts or had a bad gasket (leak was coming from the front driver side.) Well I decided I would just put a new intake manifold gasket in it and keep it running. I also decide to pull some of the smog pump emissions stuff off while I was in there. I had taken the belt off the smog pump about 2 years ago because it had seized up and had no issue with the car performance wise, so I figured I might as well pull some of the hoses and other stuff off just to clean up the engine compartment. So I tear it apart, get in there and see that the intake manifold has some pitting,
no biggie ill just replace the intake manifold also. So at the end of the day, the intake manifold, intake manifold gasket, and valve cover gaskets all get replaced. Small side note the gasket I used plugged the center port on the intake manifold which from what I understand was for gases to help warm the engine. I also remove the hard metal hoses going into the engine right above the exhaust that went to the smog pump, pulled the smog pump. Plugged and rerouted all the vacuum hoses. Couple pictures of then engine after everything was done follows

So after every thing is done I make sure that the distributor is lined up correctly by getting the timing mark on top dead center on the number one compression stroke, line up the the electrode with the number one wire. Then i put that cap on and spin it by hand with the number one spark plug out and grounded until I see the spark and tighten the distributor there. Try and start it up and it just keeps turning over won't start. So I start trouble shooting and the carburetors getting fuel when I pump the gas, distributor is lined up, maybe not perfect, but it should at least be able to run. It sounds like its turning over a little fast so I check to compression (thinking maybe the timing chain may have somehow slipped a tooth or something) on the number one and two spark plugs and both of them have good compression.

Synopsis: I replaced the intake manifold, valve cover gaskets, and removed some of the smog pump stuff. After putting it all back together I can't get it to start. Ive made sure the carburetors getting fuel, engine still has compression and spark, distributor is lined up properly.

link for engine trying to start -
Let me know what you guys think I should try or any questions you have.

-Hunter

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
welcome back Hunter

try a little more timing advance..
you can check the timing with a light, just have someone crank it over for you..

they will run at 0 BTDC, but not very good..

to eye-ball it
put the timing pointer on 12*
and then line up the rotor and cap to #1..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Engines need two ingredients in order to fire/run: fuel and spark. You say there is fuel, but I would give dribbling in some fuel a shot. If that doesn't get your engine to fire and run, then check for spark--you will likely need assistance to test for spark. Pull a plug wire and check for spark. If you get a spark, then fuel and spark are not there at TDC.

Since you pulled the distributor and turned the crank, the likely hood is your timing is off. So, redo setting your firing order starting at TDC: Pull the distributor, remove the plug, crank the motor until TDC--insert a small screwdriver into the plug hole to feel for the piston top, check the alignment of your timing mark at 0 degrees, install the distributor with the rotor facing toward #1 cylinder, and be certain the distributor is fully seated. In order to be fully seated, the distributor and the oil pump shaft must be aligned. Install the cap and recheck the plug wires are connected to each spark plug according to the firing order.

Once you have the distributor in place, lock it down by tightening the bolt until the distributor does not move freely. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine cranks easily, you may need more advance timing--rotate the distributor counterclockwise until the engine has difficulty turning over. You are looking for that spot where the engine cranks but doesn't spin easily.

If you still have difficulty, get back to us with more information. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts