El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 El Camino that I am rebuilding and was preparing the engine to be painted. When I took off the intake manifold I noticed at the rear area there is a cone shape metal object bolted to the bottom of the engine block. I'm assuming it is a function of the smog system but I've never seen this before. So does anyone know what it is, it's purpose and can I remove it? I live in California so I'm not required to smog this vechicle so I'm hoping it can go away and I can put my new intake manifold on when the paint dries.:dontknow:

· Registered
24 Posts
Your 327 should be a pre-smog block. If you are talking about a sheet metal piece bolted to the rear of the block, low in the lifter valley, it is an oil baffle to help keep some oil out of the draft tube. These engines breathed directly to atmosphere, draft tube next to the distributor and down the side of the engine next to the bellhousing and a vented oil filler cap. Leave it there, it is designed to help keep oil from splashing into the draft tube.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that's a big help. I am interested if it can be removed and rerouted through the breathers in the new valve covers I'll be buying soon. I assumed it had something to do with either the oil system or smog but never seen one before.:smileyb:

· Registered
24 Posts
You can put a plug in the block for the draft tube hole and in the intake manifold for the oil fill hole and vent the crankcase through the valve covers, then add an oil filler cap in the valve covers if you want. It is not an issue with the green police, just a visual aesthetics thing. Some people like smooth, clean valve covers. If you vent through the valve covers and don't use a PCV to vacuum, you can get a little oil vapor film around the breathers to keep clean. There will be some that gets past the breather baffles. Users choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.