El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there’s quite a few variations and options on this subject, but I want to hear from you guys with direct experience.
I have a 67 el Camino that’s pretty much all stock with what I believe is a 327. I have experience building my own engines, but not familiar with chevy. I know the 327 will have less hp just by displacement. Is the 327 worth building? Or should I just swap in a 350 or bigger engine?
it has double hump heads which I heard are good, not sure if they need to be modified to breathe better or if aluminum is a better option especially with weight. I’m not against doing the basic heads, exhaust, carb, intake for power gains. But if it’s not worth it I would rather just build a 350 on the side. What do you guys think?
It’s a daily driven car also. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
what i can oberserve from guys in similar situations (incl. me) is the following:
  • in 9 of 10 cases you cant build a full engine for less money than a professional
  • If you do, you often dont reach the result the professional does even with the same parts
  • If people still go for it, its a numbers matching kind of story...

So in your position i would do the following:
  • Save the old engine, put it aside and let time tell you what to do with it. it aint gone, you have time to decide.
  • take a good crate small block. Either blueprint 400 (best bang/buck, forged internals, hyd. roller, +500 hp, only 5200$) or, my top choice, let vortecpro (mark jones) build you one.

Research him and be sursprised by how not surprised his customers are as he just delivers.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
I know there’s quite a few variations and options on this subject, but I want to hear from you guys with direct experience.
I have a 67 el Camino that’s pretty much all stock with what I believe is a 327. I have experience building my own engines, but not familiar with chevy. I know the 327 will have less hp just by displacement. Is the 327 worth building? Or should I just swap in a 350 or bigger engine?
it has double hump heads which I heard are good, not sure if they need to be modified to breathe better or if aluminum is a better option especially with weight. I’m not against doing the basic heads, exhaust, carb, intake for power gains. But if it’s not worth it I would rather just build a 350 on the side. What do you guys think?
It’s a daily driven car also. Thanks!
Jjackson27, IMHO, I say keep the 327. Your '67 came with a 327 and, considering your comment about the "double hump" (aka "camel hump") heads, it may very well be the original engine. Of course, you'd have to do some research to see if it is a number match. I had a 327 in my '67 Camaro and it was stout to say the least. The 327 had a 4.00" bore and 3.25" stroke. The 350 has the same bore with a longer stroke of 3.48". The 327 had a "small journal" forged steel crank and my '67 Camaro revved liked a beast. Again, I say keep the 327 in your '67 and do the standard things to help it breathe better. I love it when I hear of these old engines still being around and, in your case, still running. As far as as the heads go, your camel hump/double hump heads flowed better than newer iron castings but not nearly as well as Vortec heads or aftermarket aluminum heads. That being said, I say keep them as they are a rare find these days.

Whatever you decide to do, don't let go of that 327 with camel heads. You're driving a piece of history!

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I mean a lot to some folks. do like the idea of keeping the old engine. If you ever sell it, matching numbers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are all very good points. I guess I didn’t think of matching numbers. I suppose I’ll go for building the 327. The only reason I’m against going to a professional, besides the cost, is it takes the fun out of it, I want to build it myself. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Before you decide what to do make sure it's a 327 . The 283 was available in 67 also , both look the same , check all the casting # s . If it is a 327 I would consider keeping it & rebuild if necessary . The 327 with double hump heads is a better performer than a crate 350 if your looking for more power . I had a new 67 Camaro with a 327 210 hp 2 barrel & 2 speed Powerglide & it was really fast ! If it is a 283 I might go with a 350 crate or if your looking for just a cruiser go 350 for dependability . GM Goodwrench has a 350 crate all new not rebuilt ,4 bolt mains etc for a reasonable price , used to be $1500 now $2000 + check Jegs or Summitt .

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Before you decide what to do make sure it's a 327 . The 283 was available in 67 also , both look the same , check all the casting # s . If it is a 327 I would consider keeping it & rebuild if necessary . The 327 with double hump heads is a better performer than a crate 350 if your looking for more power . I had a new 67 Camaro with a 327 210 hp 2 barrel & 2 speed Powerglide & it was really fast ! If it is a 283 I might go with a 350 crate or if your looking for just a cruiser go 350 for dependability . GM Goodwrench has a 350 crate all new not rebuilt ,4 bolt mains etc for a reasonable price , used to be $1500 now $2000 + check Jegs or Summitt .
Very good point Chris. My bad, as the 283 was offered in '67 as well.
Jjackson, here is a good resource on getting the casting number off your block for proper identification.
https://www.mortec.com/location.htm
If, as Chris said, the engine is a 283, I'd keep the heads, have them checked for cracks and "rebuildability". Here's a great price on a sweet assembled short block from GM that would be a stout bottom end for any head, cam and intake combo:
SP/ZZ Partial Engine
John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Unfortunately the casting number shows as all 3 engines. From what I’m told it’s a 327. What mods did you have to your 327? And do the heads need to be redone to perform better or are they good enough stock?

·
Registered
67 El Camino
48 Posts
Also Depends on what you're looking for, cuz I got two 350 4 bolt mains in my garage,and also at 327 that was in my 67 El Camino that I love to death. My 327 is bored 30 over with regular 350 heads and man it runs superb... I'm saving up to put a 400 small block stroker from blueprint engine for 5700 hundred.but until then I'm running that 327 to the moon and back like I e always have.. whatever you do to a 327, if you do it to a 350 you get more power and torque of course.work with what you got unless you want more I say.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately the casting number shows as all 3 engines. From what I’m told it’s a 327. What mods did you have to your 327? And do the heads need to be redone to perform better or are they good enough stock?
What is the block casting number? Can you post it?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Hello Jjackson,
I have a 327 as well for my 66 Camino, I plan on using GM aluminum heads that I got many years ago on the 327. My engine will be like yours a daily driver, I plan on a cam and headers, mine is a 4 speed cruck.
The double hump heads are a good head for a daily driver if, if they don't need much work. I would at a minimum put in hardened seats for the exhaust valves, but if you need guides, valves, springs ECT, I would go with aftermarket heads.
The GM Vortec heads are good, 330.00 each from Summit racing, ( use to be 330.00) complete, hardened seats, new valves, springs. But, always a but, you will have to run a Vortec intake manifold. But with aftermarket heads you can run serpentine belt set up, double hump heads do not have the extra bolt holes.
This all depends on what you want out of this motor, and budget of course good luck and let us know what you decide to do,,
Matty man

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
What does the pad on the passenger side front say?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
taking into consideration all the points above and your eventual course of action, if you decide to rebuild your heads, you may want to see if they need new valve seats.
had a 283 in my '67 Impala and the seats did require some work at the time back in 1994.

·
Registered
67 El Camino
48 Posts
Ok.mines is a 3789817... Which 283 scan have as well I've read but I've checked the bore and stroke it's a 327 of course from 1963.front pad is TIIOISA

·
Registered
67 El Camino
48 Posts
Forgot to add of course I got a big cam in it that's why It runs healthy and thumps.I got a set of vortec heads I want to rework of course for a little better performance of course.. after all it's just my streetcar. But I'll be ready in case any of these little imports wants some 😂👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Jjackson,
I have a 327 as well for my 66 Camino, I plan on using GM aluminum heads that I got many years ago on the 327. My engine will be like yours a daily driver, I plan on a cam and headers, mine is a 4 speed cruck.
The double hump heads are a good head for a daily driver if, if they don't need much work. I would at a minimum put in hardened seats for the exhaust valves, but if you need guides, valves, springs ECT, I would go with aftermarket heads.
The GM Vortec heads are good, 330.00 each from Summit racing, ( use to be 330.00) complete, hardened seats, new valves, springs. But, always a but, you will have to run a Vortec intake manifold. But with aftermarket heads you can run serpentine belt set up, double hump heads do not have the extra bolt holes.
This all depends on what you want out of this motor, and budget of course good luck and let us know what you decide to do,,
Matty man
Good Info thanks. I’ve read up on the vortec heads quite a lot and I’m definitely not against them, does seem like some extra work but nothing crazy, I also have a stock intake manifold so buying the one for the vortec wouldn’t be a big deal as I need one no matter what. Only thing I’m a bit confused about with those heads is what can size to get without having contact issues with stock pistons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to add of course I got a big cam in it that's why It runs healthy and thumps.I got a set of vortec heads I want to rework of course for a little better performance of course.. after all it's just my streetcar. But I'll be ready in case any of these little imports wants some 😂👍
Sounds like you got some great options! Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Jjackson, that casting number is showing as a 1967 casting. Either a 302, 327 or 350 but the 302 for only the Z28 Camaro and 350 for the non-Z28 Camaro. All were 2-bolt mains. If that is the original engine from your '67 Elk, it is a 327. I will run the ID numbers from the front pad and let you know what I find.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts