El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Chris, you're a fart smeller, I mean smart feller. Anyway, where do you get all this knowledge?

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
Jjackson, that casting number is showing as a 1967 casting. Either a 302, 327 or 350 but the 302 for only the Z28 Camaro and 350 for the non-Z28 Camaro. All were 2-bolt mains. If that is the original engine from your '67 Elk, it is a 327. I will run the ID numbers from the front pad and let you know what I find.
That engine stamp code indicates a 327 4-barrel, 275HP L30 with a Powerglide trans and A.I.R (smog)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
3892657 = '65-'67 327 V8 , congrats you got a 327 V8 . VO2IOEC = EC = 8cyl. , 327 , 275 hp , 10.0-1 comp. heads ,4 barrel carb .
Thanks so much for the info! So what was the differences between the different hp 327s? Was it just a carb or something?

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
Awesome thanks. What’s AIR?
"Air Injection Reaction". An emissions control (smog) component common on California vehicles. I had it on my '67 Camaro. Tubes that inject air into the exhaust manifolds. Does you '67 Elk still have these tubes in the manifolds?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
"Air Injection Reaction". An emissions control (smog) component common on California vehicles. I had it on my '67 Camaro. Tubes that inject air into the exhaust manifolds. Does you '67 Elk still have these tubes in the manifolds?
I have not seen that, although haven’t been looking for it. But that looks pretty obvious.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
I have not seen that, although haven’t been looking for it. But that looks pretty obvious.
Well, the records I found for the "EC" in your front stamp on the engine pad indicate that but, as I'm sure you agree with, records can be wrong. Does your Elk have a Powerglide trans?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, the records I found for the "EC" in your front stamp on the engine pad indicate that but, as I'm sure you agree with, records can be wrong. Does your Elk have a Powerglide trans?
From what I’ve read a powerglide is a 2 speed, and I swear I’ve heard it shift 3, but could be wrong. I just had the car brought down and haven’t driven it much recently until I get new tires. Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
From what I’ve read a powerglide is a 2 speed, and I swear I’ve heard it shift 3, but could be wrong. I just had the car brought down and haven’t driven it much recently until I get new tires. Is there a way to tell by looking at it?
14 pan bolts. Pan number "1" in the first pic...

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
Going by that page it seems it has a 350
Looks like a TH-350 from the pic. The 350 is a three-speed that has 13 pan bolts. The TH-350 was not introduced until 1969 so it looks as though your '67 has been "upgraded" which correlates to your statement that you hear it shift into 3rd.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks like a TH-350 from the pic. The 350 is a three-speed that has 13 pan bolts. The TH-350 was not introduced until 1969 so it looks as though your '67 has been "upgraded" which correlates to your statement that you hear it shift into 3rd.
Ah I see, well that’s cool I suppose. How would I go about checking if the engine is original and worth keeping the matching numbers? I guess it’s likely that it is since it’s a 327

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
Ah I see, well that’s cool I suppose. How would I go about checking if the engine is original and worth keeping the matching numbers? I guess it’s likely that it is since it’s a 327
Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like. I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't know if this is breaking any group rules here but feel free to call me if you'd like. I'm gonna get carpal tunnel if we keep typing... (760) 415-6265. I love these old Elks and am very happy to help any way I can. -John
Haha okay thanks! Appreciate all the info

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
EC means it came with a PG , it could have been changed out by a previous owner . I had a '66 283 in my '69 EC which had been a PG but had a Muncie 4 speed in it when I bought in '78 .

21 - 40 of 56 Posts