El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
John. It isn't breaking rules, yet it might be best to edit and remove your number for your own privacy.
You can start a "Conversation" (like a private message) by clicking on the avatar of the person you want to start a Conversation.

·
Registered
1964, 427 BB, TKO600, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears owned since 1990
16 Posts
You say this is a daily driver. To me that means reliability and decent fuel economy are high on the list, with enough performance to be fun but not so much that it’s a hassle to drive. What engine to use would be a toss up for me. I’d either rebuild the original 327 with upgrades like hardened exhaust seats and a small hydraulic roller cam, or get a late 90’s 350 that were roller cam and one piece rear main seal. I wouldn’t do the typical 383 or bigger just because the bigger the engine it the more air, and therefore fuel it needs to fill the cylinders. Aside from that, I’d keep it very mild with a Qjet carb and a good ignition system.

Devin

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
You say this is a daily driver. To me that means reliability and decent fuel economy are high on the list, with enough performance to be fun but not so much that it’s a hassle to drive. What engine to use would be a toss up for me. I’d either rebuild the original 327 with upgrades like hardened exhaust seats and a small hydraulic roller cam, or get a late 90’s 350 that were roller cam and one piece rear main seal. I wouldn’t do the typical 383 or bigger just because the bigger the engine it the more air, and therefore fuel it needs to fill the cylinders. Aside from that, I’d keep it very mild with a Qjet carb and a good ignition system.

Devin
Says the man with a 427 BB : )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Devin
Thanks for the input, yes reliability is definitely high in the list and mpg would be nice haha. The hydraulic roller cam is another thing I need to research for sure. At the moment I’m thinking I’ll stick with the 327, put a mild cam in with some headers and a carb. If I’m feeling ambitious I’ll put on some vortec heads.

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
I wouldn't disagree with that q jet, with slight modifications they are great performers

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
I dislike double messaging. but I forgot to agree with the 90s 350 TBI or TPI great on fuel and great on performance

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
I didn't do it but my uncle did it for me he shaved the needles and drilled bigger holes for more fuel delivery. It woke my engine up. But you could find performer quadrajets already Street ready.

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
But I'm running an edelBrock now that somebody handed over to me.. that one runs pretty solid to for daily drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I swapped to a 326........... Or more up to date......... 5.3.........330rwhp/340rwtq, just sayin. never looked back and really happy. Best wishes for whatever way you go!

Joe

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
Yeah like everyone says it all depends on what you're looking for. over here in Kern County there is a lot of people still running each other for fun so I went out there a few times so I'm still looking for more power. But like I said I'm in the process of putting her back together right now so yeah. Do what you feel you want. But like I said before the 327 is a rocket

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
You ain't kidding 87 LS. I read a book on those engines they are the best small blocks ever these days. That's actually in my mind to do the ls swap.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
You ain't kidding 87 LS. I read a book on those engines they are the best small blocks ever these days. That's actually in my mind to do the ls swap.
I can tell ya now, more headaches than I thought, and a learning curve I never saw coming. All in all I'm doin it again, and this time I actually know what I'm doin!

Joe

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
123 Posts
I know there’s quite a few variations and options on this subject, but I want to hear from you guys with direct experience.
I have a 67 el Camino that’s pretty much all stock with what I believe is a 327. I have experience building my own engines, but not familiar with chevy. I know the 327 will have less hp just by displacement. Is the 327 worth building? Or should I just swap in a 350 or bigger engine?
it has double hump heads which I heard are good, not sure if they need to be modified to breathe better or if aluminum is a better option especially with weight. I’m not against doing the basic heads, exhaust, carb, intake for power gains. But if it’s not worth it I would rather just build a 350 on the side. What do you guys think?
It’s a daily driven car also. Thanks!
Just wanted to weigh in one last time. I hear so many going to the LS. Great choice if you're up to the financial and technical challenge of all that goes with it. That being said, there is also something to be said about the "old school originality" of the GEN1 SBC. Truly a piece of history that is well represented in a '67. The older I get the more I appreciate the 60s and 70s cars, trucks/crucks and engines. It can be made wild, it can be made mild. Daily driver or quarter mile monster. Don't let the current "trend" drive your decision. Be you and, as such, let your '67 be whatever you want it to be.

·
Registered
67 El Camino
47 Posts
True to all that but there's a reason why everybody is LS'in all makes and all models. Better is just better...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts