El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many may have read, I Have a 348 motor in my Elky. Around town it runs fine. Touring with others on the open road I have noticed that I am only getting about 11 MPG. I figure if anyone has this same issue it would be someone on this board. Is anyone else running a 348 motor? If so, what are you getting for gas mileage and what types of things have you done to increase that MPG. I have a 250 HP with Rochester quadro jet and dual point distributor. All factory with a turbo glide and 308 gears. It should be set for the highway but it seems that I can't get the mileage. Any help or suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
to even come close to decent mileage you're gonna need to put the glide in storage and put a 200-4R or 700R4 in it. or a 5/6 spd.

:poke:

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just happen to know a great trannie man. Lives right around the corner. Trannie-mike. Are you making the suggestion of a new trannie from knowledge/experience or is it all jab?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
not bad for a truck engine,, but Keyser is right:poke::poke:a OD tranny or even a 350 turbo would be better than the glide,, my guess for a 700R4 would jump up to 16 to 18++ a cold air intake kit, synthetic oils ect could get 18++ Matty man

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
not bad for a truck engine,, but Keyser is right:poke::poke:a OD tranny or even a 350 turbo would be better than the glide,, my guess for a 700R4 would jump up to 16 to 18++ a cold air intake kit, synthetic oils ect could get 18++ Matty man

I'm gonna have that embroidered into a sampler and send it to Donny!!

:laugh: :rolleyes2:

you might be able to crutch it a bit by going to the tallest tire you can find.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Well when you're right you're right Keyser. That may improve as you live longer in a place where good folk was bred from.

:beer:

And yes Mr Fin please discuss those ratios from engine to tranny to rear gear with Mike. Then decide which way you should go to make a change.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna have that embroidered into a sampler and send it to Donny!!

:laugh: :rolleyes2:

you might be able to crutch it a bit by going to the tallest tire you can find.
I don't know how much more tire I can mount. I am running P245/60 on 15x8.5" rims. They already scrape slightly at speeds higher than 80. Do you think the drag coefficient with fins has anything to do with the mileage? :driving:

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Big Block and fuel sippin' don't belong in the same sentence.
I run a 70 with a 396, TH350 and 2:43 peg leg rear with 235/60/15 tires and I get 11-12 on a good day, down hill with a tail wind.:poke:
There's a price to pay for all that stump pulling Tq. but man it sure is fun.:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
try a 235/75-15 for trips, should be 2-3 inches taller (and easy to find used ones that size, look on 80s pickups and suburbans)

:poke:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If the ignition timing is to the stock spec, bump it up about 2 degrees & see if it helps.
The 348 may have started out as a truck engine, but the '60 Chevy (SS ?) with that engine and a 4-speed was a car to be reckoned with back then, and it kicked ass pretty good.

Also, a Pertronics solid state ignition kit installed in your stock distributor would likely help power and mileage. Point type distributors were always hard on spark plugs too, from my experience.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
This will be interesting. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the bellhousing on that early of Chevy was round overall. A later model Chevy bellhousing would be pointy on top. I'll have to find out about that. I've bought from a company called Advanced Adapters. They would know what it takes to make it fit. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
This will be interesting. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the bellhousing on that early of Chevy was round overall. A later model Chevy bellhousing would be pointy on top. I'll have to find out about that. I've bought from a company called Advanced Adapters. They would know what it takes to make it fit. :beer:

How you doing Mike. A quick question if I shipped my tranny to you ups frt. that I get a discount do you know off the top of your head how much the frt. would be or the weight of the th2004r trans. and I can find out. Don't get a quote you have enough to do just thought you probably do it all the time.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i had a 409 in my 63 ss and it had the standard chevy bellhousing ,pointed on the top. the cast iron pg had a round bellhousing with a cast iron adapter to the chevy block

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you want gas milage, you should get rid of the el camino and buy a chevy volt...... My 454 gets less milage than your 348.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
If you want gas milage, you should get rid of the el camino and buy a chevy volt...... My 454 gets less milage than your 348.
..I take it,you have a "Volt" sitting in your stable, just in case..right???:poke:
:beer:

·
6,307 Posts
i had a 409 in my 63 ss and it had the standard chevy bellhousing ,pointed on the top. the cast iron pg had a round bellhousing with a cast iron adapter to the chevy block
..All Chevy V-8 has the "pymirid" type bolt pattern ,even the 348/409's....:dontknow:

...look at the bell housing bolt pattern on this 348/409..:beer:

Attachments

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
..All Chevy V-8 has the "pymirid" type bolt pattern ,even the 348/409's....:dontknow:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3090&stc=1&d=1343829202
...look at the bell housing bolt pattern on this 348/409..:beer:
Is that one of those Styrofoam models for engine classes and demo's?:poke:

Switch to our mobile site

<A href="http://boingboing.

Styrofoam model of Concorde engine

By David Pescovitz at 2:28 pm Wednesday, Sep 24

Design firm PostlerFerguson

·
6,307 Posts

·
6,307 Posts
If I remember what the geezer's have told me, it's been the same bell housing pattern since the 50's
...True,except the 235 stright six up to 1963,then they(Chevy) change them to the pymirid designs.Even the 4 bangers has the same bellhousing pattern..

..hows that for gas mileage..:poke:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts