El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, i recently purchased my 78 elky, and it origionally has a v6 i it, I would like to replace this with a 350, but the 350 has a four bolt pattern wheras this v6 has a two bolt pattern right? how would i accomodate this larger engine?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Byron. I'm not too clear as to what '4 bolt pattern' your refering to, but if the 350 engine was called a 350 4 bolt, then they are talking about it being a 4 bolt main block. It's a desireable engine to have and to build up from. As to doing the swap, try to have access to a doner car. The little things you'll need can keep you short of gas money running back and forth to the bone-yard. Your trans will bolt up, but you'll need to change the eng mounts, among a few other things ( like fan shroud, etc.). You should change the frount spring too, although some don't. If your Elky is computer controlled, you, and you wish to keep it that way, you'll also need to change the computer and wiring too. Hope this helps get you started.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Bryon, this is probably the most common engine swap with the 5th gen Elkys. The 350 4 bolt main caps make it almost the strongest stock smallblock Chevy engine made, and therefore a good base to build a performance engine. There are many members here that have either already done this swap, are in the process of doing it, or are planning on doing it in the future. Will you need to rebuild this motor first before you install it or will you install it as is? If your going to rebuild it, I think the first thing you need to do is plan. What do you want to do with your Elky? This motor is capable of producing realistically anywhere from 185hp and up to 500hp without nitrous or a blower. Keep in mind the higher the horsepower you want it too produce the more it will cost to build. Give us some ideas and I'm sure there are plenty of members here that will give you some pointers on how to go about this swap. This is a very good swap even if the engine doesn't need rebuilding, and you will notice a big improvement over the V6 you have once you have accomplished it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts