El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 68 Elco. Last owner started to build it up and put a lot into the motor and engine compartment otherwise is a basket case. I also have a mostly restored-72. The 68 has a 1991 350 and my 72has an original # matching 350. My thought is to transfer some components of the 91 350 to my 72 350 like the MSD distributor, Stainless headers, Tubular A arms, and also has all new Sanden AC system and mine is kaput. Balance of car I will part out. Main question is are the Distributors interchangeable. Thanks for help on this. :smile3:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Short answer: Yep.

Long answer: Yyyeppp.

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
welcome to the hood Al
x2 Sean
yep it will fit..
1 question may be the Distributor Gear Material ??
GM started using Roller Cams in 87 in cars,, and IIRC 96 in trucks..
Roller Cam takes a Harder Steel Gear USUALLY but not allways.. you can get them both ways..
you want the distributor gear softer than the cam, so it wont wear out the cam,,
and there much easyer to change..
the 72 probly has a Flat Tappet Cam which usually takes a Cast Iron Gear...
the MSD may want full 12volts also..
if the 72 is points?? it runs off a resistor wire to the coil, 6-9volts...
:texas: nice lookin Elky too..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The stock single points distributor is a better unit then most of the after market units.. I use them to trigger a CD box like the Vertex Z6 or the MSD6AL.. That is one of the best ignitions going..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What kind of control arms are they? Some of the tubulars do nothing for suspension correction..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts