El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first Elky ('85 with a 350) very recently knowing that it has what is presumed to be a lifter noise. The motor runs absolutely fantastic, starts easy, runs strong... but it's got a tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk noise to it that is ruining the ambiance of that ever so pleasant mighty V8 rumble.

I'm not an experienced mechanic but I plan on being as a car enthusiast. The last 5 years has brought on an extreme interest in cars and mechanics work. I understand more and more every day and do more and more of my own work but don't know where to start with this one.

By asking around to get advice someone told me that it could be a simple adjustment or might be as bad as a "knuckle broken on the camshaft" I believe were the works he used. I've never been INSIDE a motor before and am not ready to do that by myself but am interested in what you all think and what smaller things I can try on my own to try to solve this (or at least narrow it down).

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Are you sure it's a lifter? Sometimes a slight exhaust leak sounds like a lifter. However if it is a lifter, pull the valve cover on that side of the engine that the lifter noise is coming from. Try to isolate which lifter is making the noise. Check to see if the rocker arm has excessive play, this may require you to bump the ignition a few times to get the lifter in its low and high spots in its bore. If you find one with excessive play try tightening it down a bit to see if it helps. If not remove the rocker arm and examine it for excessive wear and also pull the push rod to see if it is bent. If you find that the rocker arm is excessively worn or the pushrod bent, replace it. If this does not correct the problem the next step would be to pull the intake manifold to get to the lifter. If the lifter is good then your probably looking at a worn camshft lobe.

·
1,867 Posts
The stock nuts on the rocker arms do loosen up in time. You will probadly just need to readjust them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts