El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping out a 305 for a 350, the block is a late 70s and only issues I have had were the oil pan and dip stick and now the location of a sender. On my 305, there is a sender located above the oil filter, on the 350, there appears to be a plug of some sort, but I can't tell how it was installed.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
There should be a port next to the Distributor on the driver side.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
That plug looking place on your 350 is where you'd drill/tap for a fitting to run remote oil filter(s) and/or engine oil coolers. Came on hi-perf and truck blocks. you likely have 4 bolt mains on that block too.

:poke:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is all ready a sender that goes there. There is another sender that goes where this plug is located as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
in the late 80s/early 90s a lot of the blocks had the oil pressure sensor by the oil filter, the one by the distributor was for the tbi to shut off the fuel if the oil pressure dropped, what i usually do is get a later model sensor/plugin for that sensor and repin it to run the oil pressure as well, (the later model sensors did both jobs, oil pressure gauge and fuel shutoff too) you could also add a tee to the top port and run both of them that way. GL

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Elcamino is a 85 with a 4 barrel quadrajet. The upper sender is for the choke/oil light and the one by the filter would be for the oil pressure gauge. I might be able to "t" off the other fitting but it is crowded back there with the cruise servo, as well as having to change the wiring to fit. I was hoping it was a plug that could be knocked out, or unscrewed somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I am in the process of swapping out a 305 for a 350, the block is a late 70s and only issues I have had were the oil pan and dip stick and now the location of a sender. On my 305, there is a sender located above the oil filter, on the 350, there appears to be a plug of some sort, but I can't tell how it was installed.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s97/MGUNSCH/elcamino/DSC_0680copy.jpg

Any thoughts ?
Yes. That's a port for the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge. Those plugs usually have a square hole in the center. You can use a 1/4" or 3/8" socket adapter depending on the size of the square hole. Be sure to use adapters rated for impact wrenches (they're black).

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
what i usually do is get a later model sensor/plugin for that sensor and repin it to run the oil pressure as well, (the later model sensors did both jobs, oil pressure gauge and fuel shutoff too). GL
Where do you get those "dual" sensors and what are they called?

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
If you use the sender port by the oil filter,you will have a problem with header clearance and a very hot sender .use the port by the dist....:texas:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you use the sender port by the oil filter,you will have a problem with header clearance and a very hot sender .use the port by the dist....:texas:
No headers, stock exhaust and there is plenty of clearance there with the original exhaust.

On the plug by the filter, there is nothing more than the photo shows, no square drive or anything, I was hoping it was a lead seal or something similure.

I do know a little about using tools, just that I use them on things that normally got alot higher and faster,

The Elcamino was originally owned by my friend Carl, he and I restored his T-6 back in the 80s. He bought it new and used it for his jewelery store, delivering Grand Father clocks, we also used it as a aircraft tug for getting the plane in and out of the hangar. Carl's widow gave me the Elcamino and I have kept it since then, with no plans on getting rid of it. The factory radio became possessed, playing when ever it felt like it, so it has been replaced with a CD radio with HD radio, the engine has always been a issue, being under powered, so I am correcting it with the 350.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
That plug in your picture looks like a 6 point socket would fit on it if the paint and build up on it was cleaned off.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
thats a new one. drill it out and tap it 1/4 npt . take the oil filter and adapter out first. i have never seen a smooth round plug in one. maybe someone tried to remove the old plug and sheared off the head.make sure you center punch it dead center and drill it strait. once you get it tapped install the oil filter and spin the oil pump to flush any chipps out the hole.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Getting a plug out of a block, that's been in there forever, can be a real pain sometimes. A few raps with a hammer, on the end of it, (don't get carried away....just a few medium-hard raps ) will help loosen the threads. A Vice-Grip may be needed if the hex is bad on the plug. I use a small pipe wrench sometimes too, like a 12-inch size....
It shouldn't be any worse than the hex-head plugs on the block for draining the water jacket.

·
Registered
852 Posts
as stated above the best place is the back of the block on the drivers side. using the one down by the filter will make the sending unit hot and cause it to not read corretly, if at all and fail even if theres plenty of clearance its not wise to put it where theres alot of heat, keep it as far away from heat and itll last longer. besides, you wont habve to drill and tap the block and get metal particles in the block, and galleys.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not concerned about the heat as that is where GM put the sender and 27 yrs and 200,000 miles the sender still works. What I am trying to do is keep modifications to a minimum. There is all ready one oil sender on the back of the engine behind the intake and I don't think there is room for adaptors and another sender as that area all ready has the cruise servo located there. I will look at the plug closer tomorrow, I did put a magnet on it and it is steel.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 86 has both the sender and the pressure gage behind the distributor, with a tee made of small threaded pipe like 3/8' inch. yes it is tight back there. I just removed the cruise brackets and stuff and that helps. I don't know if mine ever had the sender at the oil filter or not??

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was a plug, I started drilling it to tap for threads and when I was doing my final drill size, this popped out

I ran the tap in and have my sender installed.
Last project to accomplish is finding a dipstick that will fit between the head and exhaust manifold.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is where I would prefer mine to be, but right next the hole for the dipstick tube is the outlet from the exhaust manifold, so I don't see how it can go anywhere else.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
i have never seen a oil gallery plug like that,, that is strange..:dontknow:

only thing i can see doing with the dipstick tube is trying to hammer it as flat as possible??:dontknow:
maybe put 2 dip sticks in the tube at one time and hammer away?? but go easy..
i forgot what a PITA those 305 manifolds were..:texas:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts