El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 conquista with a 305 that i am curtianly rebuilding and making itno a fully manual timing ignition timing. Later down the road i plan on dropping a 350 into and want to power it up a bit any suggestion on what to get.

thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Reliable Street Power as reasonable as you can...
I would say 9:1 Compression (Use Premium Gas), Mild Cam, 600 CFM Carb & Manifold, good 2" exhaust, I don't see the need for headers with all the issues on the street. The added compression with good breathing in & out will give you the biggest bang for the buck...From there you will start spending more & more for smaller and smaller percentage gains...

If you only "Get On It" once in a while...The next smart move would be a Nitrous Oxide system...Big kick in power only when you need it...

Think of the Total Package...What I see most of the time is a Mix of unrelated parts...Usually Too Much Carb for the RPM range they operate in most of the time...Smaller valve heads breathe better at lower RPM because they keep the Velocity of the charge up...Build for Your Application, Not what you see others doing...

Back in the 70's I put a Holley 500 2BBL on the 350 in my Elco and killed the Camaros between the street lights....They all ran BIG Double Pumpers...That Bog at full throttle killed them every time unless we cought the second light, then they would fly by like a rocket...The lesson they never learned was to tune for your application...I eventually replaced the close ratio 4 speed with a Muncie 3 speed, as Second would carry me all the wat to the next light...They always shifted into 3rd, add the time to shift to the Bog and I was already stopped at the next light before they showed up :beer: Drove them crazy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

im not looking for racing power just a drive around show car thats loud and has some getty up to it. Right now i have headers and running duel cherry bomb glass packs down the frame rail i was going to keep them on and put it with the 350 but if it the add back pressure would help i still have the manifolds

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
thanks

im not looking for racing power just a drive around show car thats loud and has some getty up to it. Right now i have headers and running duel cherry bomb glass packs down the frame rail i was going to keep them on and put it with the 350 but if it the add back pressure would help i still have the manifolds
I just put this in an extra 100hp is all you need. FROM JEGS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well my father has 6 extra 350s sitting in his barn that i can have so i just want to rebuild one of them instead of forking up that kind of money right up front just go slow with it i dont need it right away

·
Registered
555 Posts
Reliable Street Power as reasonable as you can...
I would say 9:1 Compression (Use Premium Gas), Mild Cam, 600 CFM Carb & Manifold, good 2" exhaust, I don't see the need for headers with all the issues on the street. The added compression with good breathing in & out will give you the biggest bang for the buck...From there you will start spending more & more for smaller and smaller percentage gains...

If you only "Get On It" once in a while...The next smart move would be a Nitrous Oxide system...Big kick in power only when you need it...

Think of the Total Package...What I see most of the time is a Mix of unrelated parts...Usually Too Much Carb for the RPM range they operate in most of the time...Smaller valve heads breathe better at lower RPM because they keep the Velocity of the charge up...Build for Your Application, Not what you see others doing...

Back in the 70's I put a Holley 500 2BBL on the 350 in my Elco and killed the Camaros between the street lights....They all ran BIG Double Pumpers...That Bog at full throttle killed them every time unless we cought the second light, then they would fly by like a rocket...The lesson they never learned was to tune for your application...I eventually replaced the close ratio 4 speed with a Muncie 3 speed, as Second would carry me all the wat to the next light...They always shifted into 3rd, add the time to shift to the Bog and I was already stopped at the next light before they showed up :beer: Drove them crazy!
Good advice.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Love those Old School Cherry Bombs!

If you already have the headers...Cool, I just did not think they were worth the extra $$$ and Noise/Heat/Gasket problems etc at this point.

If you have a Goldmine of 6 extra 350's to pick over for parts...This should be easy!
Learning to "Build" a motor not Swap a motor is a great learning curve thet will always pay back over and over as the years go by...

I say, Start building one fo those cores with the best parts available from all 6 you have to shop from...Ask for advice....

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
you have the 350 look up the spec on 69 lt1 came in your hp vette,camaro and nova i think they have a couple of 325,to 375 hp can still get the cam and stuff got mine at napa and you w2ill have all you want to get around

1 - 8 of 8 Posts