El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of determining how to install a B&M lockup control into my 85EC with 350C transmission. The 350C has lockup solenoid but there are multiple versions of the valvebody. Some 350C valvebodies have only a lockup solenoid and some versions have a pressure switch (or two apparently). I have posted a picture of the six ("6") different valve body arrangements for the 350C. The pic is an excerpt from The Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook by Ron Sessions. In addition, I have attached pics of a 350C valvebody with a lockup solenoid and no pressure switch. Obviously, which setup I have will affect how I wire the torque converter lockup. I have an 85 305 with 350C transmission. The snow/ice is to deep to allow me to get into or under the EC to check the trans.

Does anyone know what 350C valvebody they have or what I can expect in my 85 EC?

·
Registered
351 Posts
The simple way is from a switch on the dash run 12v power down to the connector on trans and ground one to the pan bolt. Flip the switch on and the conv. is locked up. The only down side is you have to flip the switch off when you come to a stop. I did my brothers (2004r) this way and he is happy with it. (only cost a few bucks) On mine (700r4) monster trans has a kit that adds a fourth gear pressure switch on the out side of the trans for $100 which only lets the trans lock up in fourth gear when the switch is on.

Don

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The simple way is from a switch on the dash run 12v power down to the connector on trans and ground one to the pan bolt. Flip the switch on and the conv. is locked up. The only down side is you have to flip the switch off when you come to a stop. I did my brothers (2004r) this way and he is happy with it. (only cost a few bucks) On mine (700r4) monster trans has a kit that adds a fourth gear pressure switch on the out side of the trans for $100 which only lets the trans lock up in fourth gear when the switch is on.

Don
If I run the power through the brake switch then the power to the lockup will be taken away each time I hit the brake. In addition, if I my EC has the pressure switch then the 350C trans will not lockup until top gear. I believe the 350C and 2004R lockup wiring is significantly different (that is my recollection but I don't have any specifics). The 350C uses a four conductor white plug. But I only need two terminals "A" and "D" which are 12v power and ground respectively.

Does anybody see a downside to wiring up the 350C lockup as follows:

1.) 12V provided through the brake switch (brake switch contacts used that lose 12V when brake is depressed);

2.) ground wire is brought back to cab attached to toggle switch with indicator light (this way when Torque Converter Clutch ("TCC") is engaged the light will come on) with other side of toggle switch being grounded to chassis; and

3.) wire a low vacuum switch in series between the 12V coming from brake switch and terminal "A" of the transmission connector (this way if I get on the throttle to pass then the TCC will cut out as the vacuum drops).

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
The B&M Lockup torque converter control works absolutely great ! I have been using it on mt 2004-R for about 3 years . You can control the lockup from 30-90 mph and cut it on-off from the control head. I don't know what the deal is with your tranny but maybe you can go to the B&M website on the lockup controller and get your question answered. With the 2004-R all you do is wire it into the external plug on the tranny..

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,092 Posts
The B&M Lockup torque converter control works absolutely great ! I have been using it on mt 2004-R for about 3 years . You can control the lockup from 30-90 mph and cut it on-off from the control head. I don't know what the deal is with your tranny but maybe you can go to the B&M website on the lockup controller and get your question answered. With the 2004-R all you do is wire it into the external plug on the tranny..
Wayne,

Where does the 12v come from? Don't you have to supply that from somewhere that has ignition only 12V?

Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
My 86 CCC came with a 350C tranny and when i dumped all the computer junk,and the computer I installed the 70244 B&M T/C Lockup controller . I later installed the 2004-R and simply plugged the connector in to the 200 and kept on riding. If you have more questions B&M was very helpful when i called them with a question.

·
2,092 Posts
Yes, kinda.....

I have just finished the installation of the 2004R into my '75 SS el Camino and just putting the 3.42 rear in, so next phase is testing that then I am going to start working on the torq converter lockup.

Not sure yet if I am going to go the route of buying something like the B&M, or making my own. Buddy of mine did the 2004R into his '69 Camaro and went the route of buying one, and he was not all that happy with it, so just putting a switch in is one alternative, but even if you tie that into the brake switch, I am concerned with when you let off the brake, the lockup re-engages, so you need some type of relay to dis-engage the lockup until the relay is reset, then re-engage when you turn the switch back on.....make sense?

Just my thoughts so far........not sure how I would make a relay to work with the brake switch, plus make it a nice and tiddy installation.....

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Thats exactly what will happen. Oh well ,don't know what he bought or how he installed it but mine works flawlessly ! If you hard wire the t/c thru a switch it will engage EVERYTIME the power hits it. There are some more systems such as the one that Mike came up with and posted several years back,and it works. The thing I love about the B&M is that YOU can adjust the lockup speed,and you don't do anything but plug the connector in and put the transducer in the speedometer cable. . Oh well you pays yo money and makes the choice ,and live with the choice. Good luck to you.:nanawrench:

·
2,092 Posts
Thats exactly what will happen. Oh well ,don't know what he bought or how he installed it but mine works flawlessly ! If you hard wire the t/c thru a switch it will engage EVERYTIME the power hits it. There are some more systems such as the one that Mike came up with and posted several years back,and it works. The thing I love about the B&M is that YOU can adjust the lockup speed,and you don't do anything but plug the connector in and put the transducer in the speedometer cable. . Oh well you pays yo money and makes the choice ,and live with the choice. Good luck to you.:nanawrench:
What's the B&M look like? I would like to stay with something that is very unobtrusive looking.....that's why I was thinking of making my own, but like you said, the B&M has the lockup speed adjustment, but that comes with having something under the dash?

·
2,092 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I put the little control box on the right of the column at the lower part of the dash in the little inset boxes that are on both sides of the steering column. Send me a pm with your e-mail and I'll take a pic of it if you want. Hope this helps.:nanawrench:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts