El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1974 classic 350sbc
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp. Kinda at a crossroads with a decision. Use local and support sm. Business or buy a remanufactured from jegs? Been quoted 1300-1500 for a local rebuild and jegs has one for around 1700 the main thing I'm debating is the 1yr warranty with the rebuild or 3yr with jegs. Cash flow is stagnant at best right now. So won't be able to do anything till after taxes. Just looking for thoughts and advice?
20200911_064524.jpg

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Support your local builder👍

as for jegs warranty

View attachment 135670
I'm with JKCamino. I used to wrench at both Chevy and Ford dealers and also private shops. I say support your local shop (if you have a reputable one). I'm not against JEGS but not thrilled with them either. They are quantity while your local shop is hopefully more quality and flexibility. I say support the smaller business...

·
Premium Member
'71 (in 1350 pieces)
65 Posts
Agree, and local reputation is everything.

What does the 1300-1500 include? Seems kind of low for what I would consider a rebuild.

Engine removal and install extra? Machine work? Bored with new pistons and rebalanced or are you getting a hone job with oversized rings? What new parts? Is head work extra or just being spot-fixed? Rebuilding the heads alone will eat that up, which is why people often replace worn out heads with a better aftermarket head. Of course, if it is something a little more rare, then you have to pay the cost to keep it original.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Agree, and local reputation is everything.

What does the 1300-1500 include? Seems kind of low for what I would consider a rebuild.

Engine removal and install extra? Machine work? Bored with new pistons and rebalanced or are you getting a hone job with oversized rings? What new parts? Is head work extra or just being spot-fixed? Rebuilding the heads alone will eat that up, which is why people often replace worn out heads with a better aftermarket head. Of course, if it is something a little more rare, then you have to pay the cost to keep it original.
Considering his title "350th", I assumed he was talking transmission rebuild, not engine?

·
Premium Member
'71 (in 1350 pieces)
65 Posts
OMG - With the engine issues I thought 350 rebuild ... Never mind!

⬅ Ignore me, I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
1974 classic 350sbc
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of kicking down a cpl extra 100 for a longer warranty.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Haven't heard much anything good about Jegs "warranty". Usually if you have an issue they tell you to reach out to the manufacturer who then tells you to go back to Jegs and so on.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Haven't heard much anything good about Jegs "warranty". Usually if you have an issue they tell you to reach out to the manufacturer who then tells you to go back to Jegs and so on.
which is why I will never buy a new RV. I've heard the horror stories. but this is the first I've heard about this about Jegs. I seem to recall hearing that GM won't even honor the warranty unless a shop on an approved list does the install.

and the advantage of having a new engine is you now essentially have a second engine to do with as you will.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Welp. Kinda at a crossroads with a decision. Use local and support sm. Business or buy a remanufactured from jegs? Been quoted 1300-1500 for a local rebuild and jegs has one for around 1700 the main thing I'm debating is the 1yr warranty with the rebuild or 3yr with jegs. Cash flow is stagnant at best right now. So won't be able to do anything till after taxes. Just looking for thoughts and advice? View attachment 135668 View attachment 135668
Hey Calif.Dav, I think people are confused by your post and think you are referring to a 350 engine not a TH-350 (Turbo-Hydramatic 350 three-speed transmission). Maybe if you edit the title of your post it will help both you and others help you?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Unless they are professionally installed I don't think any of the warranties are valid form GM crates and the like. I could be wrong though. There's ALWAYS fine print.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
876 Posts
May need to install a new rad for warrantee purposes. 😮

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I think the heading on his original post titled 350th, the th stands for turbo hydromatic.
And it is posted in Transmission and driveline forum.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
I think the heading on his original post titled 350th, the th stands for turbo hydromatic.
And it is posted in Transmission and driveline forum.
Yes, hindsight is 20/20. When I read my post just now it seems a bit snarky. Sorry to Calif.Dave and others...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I also say support your local builder. (I did and am very happy). If he has a good reputation, he’ll want to keep it and stand behind his work. If he made a mistake, it’ll likely surface in that first year. Most good rebuilders offer one year; it’s the bean counters and marketers who run spreadsheets on labor cost, materials, marketing and claims paid. If they can cut corners they will. If they can get sales with empty promises, they will. If they can charge more for that empty promise, they will. Long warranties are really just a marketing techique where the extra cost covers the claims they actually have to pay. Tommy Boy is truer than you think!!
Patrick

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,319 Posts
Just had my th350 rebuilt about a month ago, cost was 1,500 bucks, they beef it up a bit to handle the power. works great for my needs..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts