El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after going through 3 stock starters and almost 2 mini starters,I'm wondering what is going on with my 383 having starter problems. I've shimmed the starters as many ways as I could think of and still I'm getting the same result with them not engaging after a few cranks or a few days.
I've researched Car Craft's website,Googled,and asked around and it seems the flexplate could be the problem.
A 350 is internally balanced while a 400 sbc is externally balanced. With my 383 having a 400 crank,and since most 383's have counterweights on the crank,could this 153 tooth flexplate be the wrong one?
HotRodElco told me that my 383 could be out of balance since the starter engages basically when it wants to.
When I called Summit Racing,they pointed me to the flexplate I'm running now which could very well be a 350 flexplate. HotRodElco also said with it being out of balance,I'm not getting the performance I should out it.
So,before I pull a Lance Armstrong and walk away leaving questions unanswered by getting a hatchback 5.0 Mustang,I'd rather try and dig deeper.(even though being a black Lance Armstrong is very inticing):let_it_all_out:
What should I be looking for and what's the way to solve this since I don't have room to pull the engine?
Also,how can I tell the difference between the 350 and 400 flexplate?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think you need a flex plate and harmonic balancer that is extern. balanced. summit, jegs ect. have them listed for a 400ci motor. Also the flex plate is the larger one 168 tooth. My harmonic balancer is the 8 inch, you can see the big weight on it. If you have been driving the elkey i'm surprised you don't feel the motor shaking! Don

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you need a flex plate and harmonic balancer that is extern. balanced. summit, jegs ect. have them listed for a 400ci motor. Also the flex plate is the larger one 168 tooth. My harmonic balancer is the 8 inch, you can see the big weight on it. If you have been driving the elkey i'm surprised you don't feel the motor shaking! Don
I have the 153 tooth flexplate. A Summit Racing tech told me this was the flywheel needed but it sure as heck looked like the flexplate from my old 355. It had the same pattern on it as well. As for shaking,there's no shaking unless I'm driving over 50 and the secondaries are opemed up.
Donny also said the rear main seal would leak if the wrong flexplate is used but I don't think I noticed any leaks back there.:dontknow:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do you have the 400 balancer on it now if you do you need the 168 tooth 400 flex plate. It's the only size you can get for the 383-400 small block. Don

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the 400 balancer on it now if you do you need the 168 tooth 400 flex plate. It's the only size you can get for the 383-400 small block. Don
I not sure because I didn't build this engine. Its a Kim Barr 383 I got a hookup on last year. I've been facing starter probs since the install in May of 11. How can I tell if its a 400 balancer?:dontknow:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Look at the back of it you will see a big weight on it. Easy to see from under the car.

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Aren't some 350s balance too?
Skip White
EXTREME DUTY SBC CHEVY 350 FLEX PLATE 168 TOOTH

EXTERNALLY BALANCED FITS 1PC REAR MAIN SEAL ENGINES.
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
That there ddd is for a late model block like i run......
yes its for a 400.... no 305.350 where external balance.....cbeers

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I didn't write the ad, Skip White did, I thought ALL 400s and no 350s were external balanced?:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
I didn't write the ad, Skip White did, I thought ALL 400s and no 350s were external balanced?:dontknow:
Donny
All of the one pc rear main seal 350's have a weight on the flywheel/flexplate. Look at a 2 pc rear main seal crank and you will notice it has a bob weight on it, the 1 pc cranks do not, GM had to put a weight on the flex plate for the 1 pc seal motors. The motor is something of a hybrid actually because it uses a neutral balance dampner up front, basically the weght on the flexplate replaces that one bit of weight that was removed from the crank when they went 1 pc rear seal. Its internal balance in front and external in rear...very bizaare

That said, most aftermarket 383 cranks internally balance, but GM did not with the 350. - Not to worry you cannot put a 1pc rear seal flexplate on a 2pc rear seal crank or vice versa, the bolt pattern is different.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you can call them ? :dontknow:

Kim Barr Racing Engines
(972) 272-6121
3734 Cavalier Dr, Garland, TX
I called them earlier today and he told me that 90% of the engines he builds are internally balanced with weights on the crank since he only uses Eagle and Scat. The good news is that mine may be internally balanced,but the bad news is if it is,I have to figure out a way to put a new flexplate on to replace the worn one I have on now.
I'm about to go out and see if I can verify the harmonic balancer has no weight on it.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I called them earlier today and he told me that 90% of the engines he builds are internally balanced with weights on the crank since he only uses Eagle and Scat. The good news is that mine may be internally balanced,but the bad news is if it is,I have to figure out a way to put a new flexplate on to replace the worn one I have on now.
I'm about to go out and see if I can verify the harmonic balancer has no weight on it.
Let me know what you figure out. Hopefully, one of the ones I have will be what you need! :dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
beast did u ever see the crank????
even if it was un balanced there is no way the crank could pull the flywheel away enough to give you the issues you are having,,,, i tell you again bubby ,,,get a STOCK starter for a late model 5.7 DO NOT USE SHIMS,, the only time u need to shim a starter is if the block has been line bored (not honed there is a big difference) use FACTORY BOLTS use the brace on the back from , if ya aint got one get one,,,,and if ya really are still stumped bring it to woodys garage :beer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts