Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's the issue!
I swapped from the old 355 last year to this Kim Barr Racing 383 last May and I need advice on choosing a good daily driver carb.
The engine was originally tested and outfitted with a Holley 750 DP,but the PO removed it and installed a 600 Edelbrock.
The Edelbrock carb was terrible since I needed starting fluid to start the car every time it sat overnight and it always ran lean. After enough of playing with that POS,I installed my Q-jet and got my mpg's back and had an easier time with my car.
I'm looking to either rebuild or change the carb due to the bogging [email protected] and mpg improvement.(yes both fuel filters are clean)
Whats are my options?
Rebuild my 750 Qjet,Holley 670,or Holley 750?
This car is a daily driver with occasional track/race time since its more of a sleeper.
Will downgrading to a Holley 670 improve mpg's while gaining performance or do I go with a Holley 750 since that's what this hot rod engine originally came with?
I want to also feel my secondaries like the Q-jet.
I've yet to see a performance engine with a stock Q-jet on top of it like mine...:dontknow:
(The Qjet has never been rebuilt since I had the car.(3 1/2 years)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention it has a mild cam,2400-2600 stall.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My GM crate engine came with the Holley 750 Dbl pumper.

With the dual plane manifold it is incredibly responsive when you get on it .

You're at 5400 rpm in a heartbeat with the 700R4 and 373 posi.

At 10 MPG not the most economical daily driver though.

Arnie

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I know you and more importantly I know how you drive, unless you put a brick under the gas petal
you’ll never get good gas mileage!!!!
I have yet to own an El Camino that you don't want to race and I swear an old lady can pull up beside you at a stop light to fast and, (the race is on!!)
Performance you can get but fuel economy? Not unless you cut your right foot off!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I say go with getting the Q-jet rebuilt by that guy that everyone sends them to (forgot his name).

:poke:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Todd is pointing me towards the 750 Holley. I have the dual plane intake btw.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
The Holleydp designwill have more top end response, but by design kill your daily mileage. You could get the quad running right &swap on a 750dp for special occasions. If you don,t have a holley specifically tuned for your motor,you,ll have to get it dialed in correctly also, they are more fussy about needing tuning.
Haven't cracked open a quadrajet in over 20 years, but I,m thinkin yours may need larger secondry jets or metering rods. Our EDONTHEBEACH , my video guy, did a 2 part video on rejetting a quadrajet. Haven,t watched it , but it may help.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have run and tweeked both carbs. my favorite for big hp is the holley, but the right q jet and the right work to it and the q jet will be very close in hp and way ahead in fuel mileage and driveability.i use the later big q jet with the lean stop adjustment, to prevent over lean on a race preped engine.use the right use the right pri and sec jets and metering rods and the right sec hanger.adjust the sec acturator arm a little sooner and put about 3/16 slop in the sec air valve rod adjustment and it should be great on a real healthy 383 with a small converter. i am asumeing you have a small amount of gear?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you and more importantly I know how you drive, unless you put a brick under the gas petal
you’ll never get good gas mileage!!!!
I have yet to own an El Camino that you don't want to race and I swear an old lady can pull up beside you at a stop light to fast and, (the race is on!!)
Performance you can get but fuel economy? Not unless you cut your right foot off!!!:poke:
Donny
So says the one who didn't slow down until they got a 305?:poke:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Your Qjet is a spread bore style carb. Although Holley does sell a spread bore model, their carbs are a square bore design. That being said, the Holley will not fit your manifold without using a adaptor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Q-Jet is one of the best carb designs out there. The main problem is that they are very application specific. If you can get that Q-Jet tuned correctly I think you will be much happier than using a Holley.

~JM~

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanna experience the Holley but,another member reminded me that a Holley will continuously dump fuel while the Q-jet will only dump what my engine needs.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
You put your right foot in, you watch your gas drop,
That’s what it's all about!!(Hokey Pokey) song!!!:nanawrench:
Lead food, you got 2 feet but both or on the right!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if the holley is good it shouldnt just dump fuel, the engine sucks the fuel out of the carb no matter what kind of carb it is.a holley is a good carb but not as effiecient as a good q jet. they were designed for power more so than fuel milage.trust me on this a bad q jet can waste as much gas as a bad holley.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So getting fuel efficiency and power,the Q-jet is the correct carb? How much power would I be losing if the Q-jet gets a stock rebuild compared to a 750 Holley?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
As stated above it will all depend on how well either one is tuned properly for your engine. I don't think you would gain enough from the holley at wot to offset the benefits of the q-jet. JMHO Stay with the q-jet.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
that is a loaded question without knowing the engine its really hard to say.to be fairly accurate i would need all of the info from both carbs and engine details,what jets and metering rods ,sec hanger #. but genarally between 3 and 10 % hp differance between a properly set up holley and the same properly set up q jet. there are so many variables with each carb. if i am going to use a stock build q jet on a 383 i use the one from a 454. the ones set up for a 350 may be a little lean and dont have the better idle transition circuits mods to feed the bigger motors

1 - 20 of 42 Posts