Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Holley 670 Street Avenger?

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Holley 750?

Votes: 8 20.5%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,102 Posts
i have run and tweeked both carbs. my favorite for big hp is the holley, but the right q jet and the right work to it and the q jet will be very close in hp and way ahead in fuel mileage and driveability.i use the later big q jet with the lean stop adjustment, to prevent over lean on a race preped engine.use the right use the right pri and sec jets and metering rods and the right sec hanger.adjust the sec acturator arm a little sooner and put about 3/16 slop in the sec air valve rod adjustment and it should be great on a real healthy 383 with a small converter. i am asumeing you have a small amount of gear?

· Registered
2,102 Posts
if the holley is good it shouldnt just dump fuel, the engine sucks the fuel out of the carb no matter what kind of carb it is.a holley is a good carb but not as effiecient as a good q jet. they were designed for power more so than fuel milage.trust me on this a bad q jet can waste as much gas as a bad holley.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
that is a loaded question without knowing the engine its really hard to say.to be fairly accurate i would need all of the info from both carbs and engine details,what jets and metering rods ,sec hanger #. but genarally between 3 and 10 % hp differance between a properly set up holley and the same properly set up q jet. there are so many variables with each carb. if i am going to use a stock build q jet on a 383 i use the one from a 454. the ones set up for a 350 may be a little lean and dont have the better idle transition circuits mods to feed the bigger motors

· Registered
2,102 Posts
on a daily driver yes. i am a big fan of the holley and q jet but for daily drivers its hard to beat a good q jet that is set up good, they are very tunable for just about any crazy engine you can come up with. ford even put them on some of thier scj 429 engines. 470 hp for was happy with one so you can make them work on anything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.