El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! My truck blew a head gasket. I pulled the heads and sent them off to my local machine shop. They're wanting nearly $1500.00 to rebuild the heads. I found a 383 built by White Performance (out of Tennessee) on e-bay for less than 5K.. I'm wanting to go with the 383. Anyone dealt with these guys??

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
WOW!!!!! that is WAAAY too steep for head rebuilding. You can get a new set of Edelbrock aluminums for less than that.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi David. X2 on what Neil said. I have bought some parts from White's. One of the things I bought was a polished aluminum water pump. I was not ready to put it on and nearly six months passed. Went to install it and discovered they had shipped me a small block pump by mistake. Emailed them and no problem with the exchange. Good folks I would say and the parts are good quality.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
3X on way to much $$$ for re-doing your heads. I'd get them back and shop around for a better price.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Don't know whites but 5 grand is a mid range price,as far as 383 goes love the one in my 68.
Shop around a little befor you make that step.:smile3:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
x4 way too much for the heads.. still cost too much to build stock heads anyway..

3500$ roller cam,, forged pistons,, never heard of WPM-1 ALUMINUM HEADS???
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/STROKER-ENGINE-455hp-Aluminum-Heads/dp/B00FJ7SN0S[/ame] :cool2:

2700$ same picture
http://compare.ebay.com/like/171316188094 ????

edit
oooh you mean this
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/STROKER-ENGINE-480hp-Hydraulic-Roller/dp/B00FI2QUZY/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1399005284&sr=1-5&keywords=sbc+383+long+block[/ame]

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Well crap, it looks great, and 455 horses doesn't sound bad. Lack of a dyno sheet makes me a bit dubious though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well crap, it looks great, and 455 horses doesn't sound bad. Lack of a dyno sheet makes me a bit dubious though.
I paid the extra to have it dyno run. It was only a hundred bucks.. or so. I also sent them my carb and ignition for the dyno testing. I want to know what kind of power it will make in my world.. Not the world of insanity..:satisfied:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, yesterday was Dyno Day!!! With a 600cfm carb it made 439hp and 464ftlb torque. With a 750cfm vacuum secondaries carb 461hp @4800rpm and 473ftlb torque @4400 rpm :eek:nfire:... I have spent a fair amount of time talking with Charlie, Larry (The Dyno Guy) and Greg at White Performance. They all seem like great people to do business with! BTW White Performance cut all ties with Skip White several years ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update on my 383

Quick update on my 383 from White Performance. Y'all, This thing is a Beast! With a 2500 stall, Turbo 400/w Shift Kit, and 308 rear end gears, you can light the back tires at will.. up to about 60mph. And it will get almost 12mpg around town (if you keep your foot out of it). I'm a Believer!! This IS the motor Chevy Should have made!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts