El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm getting ready to pull out the 383 that's currently in my 65 el Camino and put it on a cradle for now to strip off what I can then mount it on a stand it completely disassemble it. The reason I'll be doing that is this block was originally a 350(via casting #'s) and the previous owner had no idea other than what two owners ago had told him about the engine, so I'd like to take it apart, measure it up and see what I'm dealing with. The transmission is currently a mystery too but I'm thinking its a 350 because its barely moving my car with pedal to the metal. I know it might get extremely expensive to save this mystery block and a lot of frustration.

On the other hand I can just sell that block for about a grand, pick up an LS3, change out the pistons and rods, then put a twin turbo with a Tremec t56 6 speed and call it a life time of happiness but I know that will cost even more.

Question all comes down to, 383 with blower and Muncie 6 speed or LS3 with twin turbo and 6 speed? What are your thoughts on performance, cost, maintenance, and anything else you can thing of?

Stay fast my friends,
HULKAMINO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering just stripping it to bare block then inventory everything so if I need it again:nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
turbo lag!

I don't know man, turbo lag can be kinda pesky, and there's just something awesome about seeing old muscle cars with a blower on 'em.

I vote for the supercharged 383! :nana2:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
As far as ls3's go, there good enough that some autocross guys are paying to have them installed in their classic fords & even challengers.
Why? To win. GM also has better crate engine/harness support than the other guys.

If you can afford it , go for it. Course you don't have to have twin turbo's, a single large turbo can put out over 1,000 hp on the street on a 6 liter based iron block engine. If you're going to build up something for turbo use, starting with a 6 liter truck iron block is a good option also.

Affordability/ simplicity, & reliability speaking, a crate ls3 with the larger cam option isn't a bad thing either for the price of all new reliable technology.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.