El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, before my husband freaks out on me...I'm NOT doing anything, BUT someone I know has a 396 that he says is out of a 68 Chevelle, He says everything is included, and in good condition. He doesn't have the time for anymore projects so he offered it to me.
How do I know if it's even going to run-other than taking the guy at his word?
He said it ran great before he took it out of the Chevelle.
What would be a fair price for it? IF it's all he says it is?
Thanks!
:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Okay, before my husband freaks out on me...I'm NOT doing anything, BUT someone I know has a 396 that he says is out of a 68 Chevelle, He says everything is included, and in good condition. He doesn't have the time for anymore projects so he offered it to me.
First of all, can it be put into my 78 without a ton of modifications?
Secondly, how do I know if it's even going to run-other than taking the guy at his word?
He said it ran great before he took it out of the Chevelle.
What would be a fair price for it? IF it's all he says it is?
Thanks!
Hi Terry don't waste your time you're time you know you want it so go for it. If it doesn't work out drop it in you're sons truck Then hide .

LOL
ROBERT

·
0 Posts
Beefing up the front suspension is the very first thing you'll need to do. Cutting to make it fit is also needed but it seems like someone is going to the dark side..

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
You have know way of knowing if it will run so unless he's a (good) friend I'd pay (bad motor) price for it which aint much. Also get the numbers off the back of the block and I'll run them to see if it comes back as a 68 from a passenger car. I think they made 3 models of 396s in 68 so which one also reflects on the price?
How long has it been sitting? Was it stored properly?
Bottom line, I wouldn't go no more than about $300.00 and that's if it looks rebuildable.
But I buy low!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Trader

Terry,cant belive you didnot call me on this Did i make you mad ????? :dontknow::texas:
tick tick tick tick
tick tick tick.... u tell me?? Terry call me if ya need a hand
Have trailer will travel:beer::secret:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Terry,cant belive you didnot call me on this Did i make you mad ????? :dontknow::texas:
Roy-you know you're my go to guy! I just wanted to know IF the deal the guy offered me was a good one or not. You know me...always thinking...:poke:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Bottom line, I wouldn't go no more than about $300.00 and that's if it looks rebuildable.
But I buy low!!!:nanawrench:
Donny
Thank you!! THAT'S what I wanted to know!! He's wanting way too much. I'll pass on this one. Thanks Donny! :beer:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't worry Brandon 1 and Brandon 2 I am NOT going over to the "DARK SIDE"! :poke: YET!!
If I come across a decent Elky with a big block, I'm not above parting with little Carlos for one though! I just want to go FAST!!! :dontknow:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
Thank you!! THAT'S what I wanted to know!! He's wanting way too much. I'll pass on this one. Thanks Donny! :beer:
Sometimes the best deal you ever make is the one you pass up.:texas:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Guess I better start my vacation fund for next years vacation to Texas to watch some whoop ass go down.:texas::texas:
...I'll bring the lounge chairs and the grill, and you bring the beer..:beer::poke:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Tick tock tick tock who wants a big block??.
Best get those valve train troubles ironed out on the small block.TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK sound familiar?
Big blocks dont take kindly to valve train issues/ tick. Tick tock
Its only $$ but what do i know? I brought the fastest quickest small block 2yrs in a row...... and will do so in round 3.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts