El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows the voltage going to the fuel sending unit in a 3rd gen or how exactly it works , read an article saying there is 12 volts in but only 4 volts out and that the gauge works by ohms , and the sending unit acts as a potentionometer but that really doesn't correct, just trying to get my gauge to work ,probably another ground issue (hoping)

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,047 Posts
the gauge indeed does read ohms, 0-90 if I'm not mistaken, or at least thats the range that 60-70's cars use. What does your gauge read now? if it pegs its usually a ground issue, if its inaccurate but moves, its likely to be a sender problem.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the gauge indeed does read ohms, 0-90 if I'm not mistaken, or at least thats the range that 60-70's cars use. What does your gauge read now? if it pegs its usually a ground issue, if its inaccurate but moves, its likely to be a sender problem.

It doesn't move at all , all the issues from the 72 have been from it sitting for 4 years and seem to be ground and connection issues ,I will reroute and clean up the ground first and see it that helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts